XTC 101B clip.......

flyangus

• Members
Originally posted by godofmetalguita

really fizzy for me, but i can see how someone would like that tone, just not for me. I gotta say that kick from clean to dirty was awesome.

Nice sounding clip, good recording, also, awesome playing.

Thanks for checking it out!:)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

Ditto,Ditto and Ditto!!! You are so friggin Greasy and Filthy( and I mean that in the best wasy possible!!!) I love your stuff but Im not a Bogner guy either, Come back to Camp Diezel

You rule Bro!!!

Kage

Hey Kage!

Thanks bro! I'm pretty lodged in the Bogner camp at the moment!!:D

I'm going to try an SM57 to mic it with and see what difference it makes, I like the tone with the AE2500 though. I like the extended highs and lows the condenser gives, it kind of reminds me of the sound on 'Balance" and I love that tone!! I'll have to A/B them to check my memory isn't playing tricks! :D

Love both the tracks you put up in your thread, especially Magic Ass 3!:thu:

Anyway, YOU rule mate!:D

Give my best to Victoria and little Xander.

• Members
Originally posted by carlygtr56

Isn't that nice. A plug for me. Thank you so much.

You got your numbers wrong. If you're going to dredge up 5 year old quotes and attrubute them to me, the least you can do is get your info straight.

I owned two 101b's. I'm not the only guy who described the sound as a "blanket over the speaker".

I recently demo'd a 101b at GC and really liked it. So much so, I was considering buying another Ecstasy.

I happened to like the Carvin Legacy more, so I bought it, but I would still consider the Ecstasy. To infer I couldn't dial the amp in after owning 2 for a few years, shows you to be an anus of the highest order.

As far as the Diezels, I like the Einstein clips I've heard. I don't care for the other 2 models. "Tinny"? I'd say there is something "metallic" in the mids, which can be desirable or not, depending on what you want to hear.

I thought this Bogner clip was great. It was much more foward and present sounding from what I remember.

As to you '63 Strat....I don't know who you are nor could I give a {censored}. You got balls dropping my name around as I can very well speak for myself.
:rolleyes:

There's something about the midrange voicing of the XTC 101B that I don't dig. I also think it has a somewhat muffled sound. It's a very dark amp. There's a bit too much fizz in the high gain clip here I think, but that's probably due to mic placement.

To me the 101B sounds a bit congested, and doesn't quite "breathe" the way some other amps do. I've heard techs explain it's because of all the filtering they do between gain stages, but I don't really know a whole lot about amp tech specs. I've heard the XTC classis is a bit different, but I've yet to play through one.

Flyangus you are a damn fine player my friend!

• Members
Originally posted by shredhead666

There's something about the midrange voicing of the XTC 101B that I don't dig. I also think it has a somewhat muffled sound. It's a very dark amp. There's a bit too much fizz in the high gain clip here I think, but that's probably due to mic placement.

To me the 101B sounds a bit congested, and doesn't quite "breathe" the way some other amps do. I've heard techs explain it's because of all the filtering they do between gain stages, but I don't really know a whole lot about amp tech specs. I've heard the XTC classis is a bit different, but I've yet to play through one.

Each gain stage has a plate resistor that bias the preamp tubes. If you run a small value cap parallel with these resistors you filter out some of the high frequencies. 2 of the 4 stages of the 101B's lead channel have this. The Classic has 1 of the 4 stages like this. The Orange Rockerverb, Carvin Legacy, Aiken Sabre and even the SLO has a bit of filtering to. Anyway didn't mean to bore anyone :bor:

• Members

Dang dude, who cares about the amp? That was a kickin' little wank sesh.

But, the amp did sound great, the only think I didn't like is it was a bit undefined when you went into the high gain section on the rhythms. Still, it's all good when you can play like that.

• Members
Originally posted by shredhead666

Thank you very much:)

I think any fizzyness could be attributed to the AE2500, it's really not a fizzy amp. I'm going to try an SM57 clip soon just to compare. I think my 101B must be a good one because it 'breathes' better than any other amp I've had :D (I can't compare it to old Marshalls and other single channel amps though as I have never tried any!)

:)

• Members
Originally posted by lessarti

Love the bogner red channel tone, Flyangus!

Also, could you possibly give a clip of the blue channel with the gain maxed out to give me a general idea of what the limits are gain wise?

-Tim

Thanks Tim. I intend to record just the Red channel as soon as I can, just varying the volume pot on the guitar and changing picking dynamics etc. just to show how versatile this channel is (within my limits of course!:D )

I'll try and do one for the blue channel too. If the pre eq is set to B1, the boost is on and the gain maxed there is a fair amount of gain especially if the amp is opened up a little.

• Members
Originally posted by Bob Savage

Dang dude, who cares about the amp? That was a kickin' little wank sesh.

But, the amp did sound great, the only think I didn't like is it was a bit undefined when you went into the high gain section on the rhythms. Still, it's all good when you can play like that.

Hey Bob! Thank you very much indeed, that's quite a compliment! :eek::)

I spoke to Sean at Bogner, he said the Ecstasy goes very well with the SM57 and the 421. I think a 421 might be on the cards after I've tried my 57. :thu:

Thanks for listening.

• Members

flyangus,

I look forward to the blue channel clip! I really appreciate it if you can show it's capabilities from lets say 1 o clock gain with theboost on to full on blue channel gain, I have a hunch it can do metal gain tones (imo ofcourse, i dont use nearly as much gain as i used to for rhythms).

• Members

flyangus,

I look forward to the blue channel clip! I really appreciate it if you can show it's capabilities from lets say 1 o clock gain with theboost on to full on blue channel gain, I have a hunch it can do metal gain tones (imo ofcourse, i dont use nearly as much gain as i used to for rhythms).

I'll see what I can do;)

Even at low gain settings the amp is pretty 'easy' to play, great for AC/DC rhythms. Crank the gain and engage the boost and B1 on the pre eq and there's definitely 'metal' sounds there (not death metal though). Plenty of gain but it still retains articulation too.

• Members
Originally posted by Nutter

That's quite possibly the best lead tone I've ever heard from any amp! Great playing too!

:thu:

Thanks for the compliment!!:) It's the best lead sound from any amp I have played, I love my 101B!:D

Thanks again!

• Members

Can anyone compare how the Classic would have differed in tone compared to this clip? I've heard that it is more "woody" but I really can't comprehend that sound difference. The clips on the bogner site are two different types of styles between the two amps, so it didn't do any good in showing the difference between the two amps. Thanks!

• Members
flyangus, Even at low gain settings the amp is pretty 'easy' to play, great for AC/DC rhythms. Crank the gain and engage the boost and B1 on the pre eq and there's definitely 'metal' sounds there (not death metal though). Plenty of gain but it still retains articulation too. I'll see what I can do

Thanks I appreciate it! I believe with the boost on that thing would sound amazing for metal tones! I am thinking along the lines of megadeth tones not nu-metal or deathmetal tones.

I would love to find a bogner xtc 101b or classic nearby here, I think i would love it more than the uber! :cool:

I can see myself getting blue channel metal rhythm tones and using red for lead but I am convinced it would be switched back and forth rhythm / lead between the red and blue channels. Who knows.. easier said than done to attain one of those amps!:(

• Members

Thanks I appreciate it! I believe with the boost on that thing would sound amazing for metal tones! I am thinking along the lines of megadeth tones not nu-metal or deathmetal tones.

I would love to find a bogner xtc 101b or classic nearby here, I think i would love it more than the uber!
:cool:

I can see myself getting blue channel metal rhythm tones and using red for lead but I am convinced it would be switched back and forth rhythm / lead between the red and blue channels. Who knows.. easier said than done to attain one of those amps!
:(

I've just been messing with the Blue channel running a treble booster infront, sounds pretty good.

FWIW I have an Uber and I prefer the XTC so much more! I can't quite get away with it for lead stuff, having said that its still a great amp.

• Members

flyangus,

Hey if you do make a blue channel clip can you try and make it of only the blue channel with no boost infront? I am trying to hear what the blue channel has on tap for gain without any additional boosts.. i dont really like using them as much and prefer the amp to sing on its own.

Archived