Use Fantom X7 to Sample Triton Le?

GigMan

• Members

So I'm feverishly looking to replace my dying Triton Le - have considered a used Triton Extreme but not any available at this time on CL or evilbay (as of Sun. 10.11.09)... also considered a new Korg M50 or even just another used TLe and taking the chance it too won't flake...

Just had a thought, though (it happens, sometimes): :idea:

What if I got a used Fantom X6 or X7 (I'd prefer the 7 w/the extra keys, yet it's still fairly lightweight), which has its own unique soundset - and then sampled into it the few sounds that I really like from my Triton Le, thus giving the "best of both worlds"? :confused:

I was going to just give the Le to my son to mess around w/anyway, so it's not going anywhere - I could do the sampling at my "leisure"... (not that I have much of that) :lol: - - and that way, I'd get the Fantom sounds and the few TLe sounds that are really useable. Is this doable or just a pipe dream? :facepalm:

And for those who would say "get a used Motif instead, even just for the sampling aspect..." - I already have a Yam. S90ES so a Motif would be redundant, in that it'd have the same soundset - although the Motif XS is different from an S90ES I guess but it's still too similar and over my budget, anyway - looking to keep this purchase at the $1,500 mark or less. Used Fantom X7's are going for as low as $1,200. New Korg M50 would be $1,250.

There seems to be a lot of used Roland Fantom X machines available - not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing... people either upgraded to the Fantom G or maybe they decided they just didn't like their Fantom X so much after all? :cry:

• Members

Sounds like a plan to me - without knowing much about the specific sounds you want to sample from the Triton LE, it's hard to know how close a sample will get to their character though...

I've got a Fantom Xa and think it's great, but has it's strengths and weaknesses in sounds like any ROMpler (many threads on HC argue the case...) - in particular, I don't rate the organs.

Another issue with the Fantom X is it's slow sample loading time - something like 10MB/minute (very roughly) - which may or may not be a problem for you. For gigs, I load in about 30MB in total of mellotron samples, stuff from a Minimoog copy VST and a few bits and pieces, and the loading time is fine, but I wouldn't want to load too much more...

• Members

Sampling some of the LE stuff into the Fantom X should work. It always comes down to sample with the effects or without and getting things to loop properly. If you put enough work into it, you should be able to get a lot of useful Triton material into the Fantom X. I'm not sure why there are so many used Fantom Xs out there. They are still one of the finest keyboards I've ever owned...especially when you consider the possibility of 4 SRX expansion boards.

• Members

Sampling some of the LE stuff into the Fantom X should work. It always comes down to sample with the effects or without and getting things to loop properly. If you put enough work into it, you should be able to get a lot of useful Triton material into the Fantom X. I'm not sure why there are so many used Fantom Xs out there. They are still one of the finest keyboards I've ever owned...especially when you consider the possibility of 4 SRX expansion boards.

bdub - good info. I noticed in your sig that you currently have a Fantom G7 - did you upgrade from an X7? :confused:

• Members

Sounds like a plan to me - without knowing much about the specific sounds you want to sample from the Triton LE, it's hard to know how close a sample will get to their character though...

I've got a Fantom Xa and think it's great, but has it's strengths and weaknesses in sounds like any ROMpler (many threads on HC argue the case...) - in particular, I don't rate the organs.

Another issue with the Fantom X is it's slow sample loading time - something like 10MB/minute (very roughly) - which may or may not be a problem for you. For gigs, I load in about 30MB in total of mellotron samples, stuff from a Minimoog copy VST and a few bits and pieces, and the loading time is fine, but I wouldn't want to load too much more...

Hmm... forgot about "sample load time" - that would be a pain but I guess you just load 'em in at the beginning of the gig & you're set, right?

• Members

Actually, judging from ebay descriptions in the UK, the Fantom X seems to have cornered the market in people who thought they were going to use it lots then haven't found the time so need to sell it... plus maybe Roland just sold lots so there's lots floating around second-hand.

There's one or two annoying bugs in the Xa (e.g. changing volumes in a performance doesn't work if you have several sounds set to the same MIDI channel), but it's totally reliable and sounds good.

• Members

Hmm... forgot about "sample load time" - that would be a pain but I guess you just load 'em in at the beginning of the gig & you're set, right?

Yep - it's a one-time load when you power on, so I just try and remember to power-up the Fantom first and set the samples loading while I'm still connecting cables etc.

• Members

bdub - good info. I noticed in your sig that you currently have a Fantom G7 - did you upgrade from an X7?
:confused:

I upgraded from an X6 to the G7. I was carrying around an X6, Triton Extreme and a CX3. I replaced them all with a G7 and a VK-8M for gigging. The G7's live setups with seamless switching lets me cover anything I need. I had to supplement the sounds with about 250MB of my own samples due to the lack of SRX support though. I miss my X6 more than any other keyboard I've ever sold. I'll eventually get an XR.

Archived