Peacemaker + gh30 and greenback in my uberkab

mentoneman

• Members

my first attempt at dinking with it---

"peacemaker classics" link on my siggy link down below

file is 6.6mg

clip rundown:

clapton clip=green am. strat alder/rosewood/teese picture wah/tone press/danecho/PM/hotplate -4 switches on/power damp 50%/gh30

*low to no gain made it really hard to play licks/bends without being sloppy...could'a used more tube howl and od push

fuzzneck clip=green strat/stock neck pu/dynacomp/tonebone set for fuzz/danecho/HP same/PD same/gh30

*spitty fuzzy wheezy gain reminded me of my old yellow dod od250...even how it bottomed/mushed out on the low end...sorta needed a little more pop from somewhere to make it easier to flow

lynch dreams=RW strat/duncan EVH bridge pickup/dyna/tonebone w/mid boost/echo/HP+PD/gh30

*sorta mid congested sounding for muting, and a little harsh...the telltale sign of trying to brighten up the rosewood gtr with amp/pedal eq.... but the chord blasts had some cool plexi roar...probably should have dumped the mids on the pedal, moved the mic more toward edge, and would have been better with the maple neck

warren's in love=maple neck black strat/ tb-4 bridge pu/dynacomp/tonebone mid cut/echo/HP+PD/gh30

*man the maple neck and the extra fire of the pickup really made this clip oink and chomp nicely. mid cut on pedal helped too. very close to what i want from an ideal hard rock cruch tone. chirp factor high

G. Moore=maple strat/greenback...added reverb from my gforce

*messed with the panning and reverb to get more sizzling spitfire...has a nice edge and dryness to it

VH part 1=maple strat/greenback

VH part 2=maple/greenback

VH part 3=green strat/gh30

all have gforce verb/delay

*something about these speakers i started noticing...i think it's the way they process bass end...that lets you hit them harder which lets you hear them bounce and konk without that fusiony legato low mid effect and less of the fizz spike of the v30 and 75...i still hear some bass loading sitting in front of the cab, but the mike doesn't seem to as much with these speakers for some reason...they have a drier sound...less pedal gain and more pure tube slap would have been better for the mids and rounded off the sizzle

sloppy jimi=green strat/teese wah abuse

*probably should have moved the mics off cone more in general...my hearing was shot by this time..

57/58 mics, vs880 recorder...blah blah

i still notice when i take the file from garage band to itunes, the export process fuzzies/compresses up the sound compared to when i listen to it in garage band...not sure how to get around that

• Members

Pat! I liked the chord tone in the Lynch.....and Warren clips.

The VH is cool. No Tonebone on the VH? That's just the PM?

What are you doing with the Dynacomp? Hitting the Tonebone with it?

Still think when you use pedals for gain, the PM sounds best with no PR or Hotplate.

Low input?

No 9th chords in Voodoo Child unless you're doing a James Brown version of it

:D

Nice clips. Always cool how differently people use the Peacemaker

• Members

Try putting the peak limiter on the master track in GB before exporting to itunes if you haven't already. I noticed that a lot of times, even if the master isn't clipping in GB, you'll hear clipping after exporting.

Haven't gotten to listen to this clip yet but it looks like fun!

• Members

Hey Pat, very nice clips - really great playing mate!

I could tell in the Clapton clip it was a bitch to play, my fingers were sore in sympathy!:eek::D

I liked the VH clips with the greenies best followed by the DeMartini clip. Both smoked:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by carlygtr56

Pat! I liked the chord tone in the Lynch.....and Warren clips.

the lynch tone was more menacing but cluttered and a little too harsh..warren more airy

The VH is cool. No Tonebone on the VH? That's just the PM?
no that was dyna into tonebone. i normally use my barber tone press as the comp for my live rig w/coyote, but for some reason, the dyna has more warmth and a better fatness for vh stuff with the peacemaker..problem is, it also gets a little congested in the mids too

What are you doing with the Dynacomp? Hitting the Tonebone with it?
yup

Still think when you use pedals for gain, the PM sounds best with no PR or Hotplate.

hotplate w/ pd is best for controlling volume while keeping as much tone alive as possible with pedals, but PD steals some tube sag and HP changes dynamics

Low input?
always-just sounds creamier and fuller to me

No 9th chords in Voodoo Child unless you're doing a James Brown version of it

duly noted...i swear i have no idea how to play most of the stuff i do clips with...i'm just reaching with my ears and fingers for what i think it's supposed to sound like!

Nice clips. Always cool how differently people use the Peacemaker

agreed:)

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

Try putting the peak limiter on the master track in GB before exporting to itunes if you haven't already. I noticed that a lot of times, even if the master isn't clipping in GB, you'll hear clipping after exporting.

Haven't gotten to listen to this clip yet but it looks like fun!

i actually started messing with the track tools in garage band while mixing, but i am still very sceptical of the sound quality of those things.

every time i apply a comp or eq to anything in gb using the built in tools, it just starts getting more fizzy/skinny.

i think most of it has to do with advancing my recording ability in the first place!

but i will tinker with the limiter. thanks.

ps-

i was driving earlier and caught black water by the doobie brothers and a def lep song on the radio and thought "now why can't i make my recordings sound like THAT!"

viv campbell did an interview and said a new def lep tribute cd is coming, and he is doing a solo blues cd that is already released i think...robert johnson type songs.

• Members

Originally posted by flyangus

Hey Pat, very nice clips - really great playing mate!

I could tell in the Clapton clip it was a bitch to play, my fingers were sore in sympathy!
:eek::D

I liked the VH clips with the greenies best followed by the DeMartini clip. Both smoked:thu:

yeah i almost ditched the clapton thing but it showed a different peacemaker tone so i left it.

• Members

Holy crap, dude! Great stuff. All the tones were really nice and that Lynch rhythm tone was especially good except for the harshness. I like the slow motion version of the Warren thing... :D

Sizzlin' playin' as well! and perfect use of all the effects, I thought...

Steve

• Members

ps - mentoneman, you might already know this, but just in case not...

If you access your idisk from the Finder (Go menu --> idisk), there's a folder in there called Sites. Any files you put in that folder you can link directly to without people having to do the page, then download, then unzip thing.

The url for any files you put in that folder will be:

http://homepage.mac.com/mentoneman/filename.whatever

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

Dang Pat, it sounds good, but you need to narrate it when you put that much stuff into a clip.

O.K., I'm off to listen to the rest...

i know..i just had a ton of stuff here and there so i clumped them all together on one mp3 to make it easy on me

next time i'll be a little more compact!

• Members

Originally posted by sah5150

Holy crap, dude! Great stuff. All the tones were really nice and that Lynch rhythm tone was especially good except for the harshness. I like the slow motion version of the Warren thing...

Sizzlin' playin' as well! and perfect use of all the effects, I thought...

Steve

thanks fellow mojave bro bro.

it's funny, i was thinking it would be so nice to have had your recording tools at the time i did those clips...you always have such a great smoothness on your top end, which i could have used...

my replex is DOA right now...i really miss that effect for the VH stuff.

if i had that, your mic pre and pro tools, and vhoholic's reverb, i would be really happy with that side of things!

• Members

Originally posted by SQUAREHEAD

You're No Good!!! Love that one!!!

Great job on 'em all Pat!!!

Awesome, Incredible tone, Bro!!

What did you drive the amp with Pat??

Keith

ah you're no good...i love that song, but it is hard to play the rhythm chords then jump to the unison bend! add to that the fact i never practice that stuff and my oh my does it get clammy!

for the lynch/warren/vh stuff i use

dynacomp=adds a big old gain boost in a warm vintage way but there is some top end splatter as well, then the sensitivity knob just aids in the squishiness and touch factor...but it's noisy!

radial tonebone classic=this thing really chameleons from eric johnson smooth to vh to warren/lynch sizzle, but it's main drawback is that it will start to compress the dynamics of the raw amp and sorta flatten out the mids and get a little scratchy up top---the only way around that is more amp power/drive and slowly backing down the pedal gain. eventually you can get to a volume balance where the amp flows through the problems and the speakers sing.

danelectro danecho=just using this because my replex is dead. the replex kills it in warmth and fidelity.

my favorite tones from the peacemaker so far are running the comp/drive pedals up front, then taking the dry out to the uberkab, and the line out of the peacemaker to the replex and then into the coyote for the wet signal, it's so much clearer and magical that way.

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

ps - mentoneman, you might already know this, but just in case not...

If you access your idisk from the Finder (Go menu --> idisk), there's a folder in there called Sites. Any files you put in that folder you can link directly to without people having to do the page, then download, then unzip thing.

The url for any files you put in that folder will be:

so like this

• Members

Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro

Didn't dig the DeMartini thing, hated the Lynch thing, dug the VH thing, grooved on the Clapton thing. ANd the Jimi thing damn near had me reaching for the credit card.

for me the dimartini sound was nice but the way i recorded it sorta came off too bright. the lynch thing was even less appealing to me because of the warm rosewood neck and trying to compensate with eq, making it wierd, but it had some interesting roar. overall i gave away too much pedal gain on the higher gain recordings.

again, with some vintage type mic pres, i don't think that wouldn't be a problem.

• Members

Originally posted by mentoneman

for me the dimartini sound was nice but the way i recorded it sorta came off too bright. the lynch thing was even less appealing to me because of the warm rosewood neck and trying to compensate with eq, making it wierd, but it had some interesting roar. overall i gave away too much pedal gain on the higher gain recordings.

again, with some vintage type mic pres, i don't think that wouldn't be a problem.

What's the mic? A 57? On which speaker?

• Members

What's the mic? A 57? On which speaker?

i used a combination of 57 and 58 and i double miced one speaker at a time, either the gh30 or the greenback. phase was causing some things you hear...some notching and some cancellation, but i played with it and panned around until i kinda liked what i heard.

• Members

Didn't dig the DeMartini thing, hated the Lynch thing, dug the VH thing, grooved on the Clapton thing. ANd the Jimi thing damn near had me reaching for the credit card.

Hmmmm... What didn't you dig about the Lynch thing? I thought it captured the essence of the album tone quite nicely, except for the minor issue of the strange harshness...

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by mentoneman

thanks fellow mojave bro bro.

it's funny, i was thinking it would be so nice to have had your recording tools at the time i did those clips...you always have such a great smoothness on your top end, which i could have used...

my replex is DOA right now...i really miss that effect for the VH stuff.

if i had that, your mic pre and pro tools, and vhoholic's reverb, i would be really happy with that side of things!

Thanks bro - I will say though that the smoothness in the high end on my stuff is more a factor of how I mic the speaker than anything else...

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by sah5150

Hmmmm... What didn't you dig about the Lynch thing? I thought it captured the essence of the album tone quite nicely, except for the minor issue of the strange harshness...

Steve

I guess I never cared for his album tone either...

• Members

In general, I really liked all of the bits, but I think they would all benefit a lot from having the echo either taken out of the chain completely, or put after the amp. Everything is too indistinct with all the echo especially the gainier stuff.

Archived