Anyone mixed Greenbacks and G12H30's?

flyangus

• Members

Originally posted by SQUAREHEAD

Hey flyangus!!

I will defintely keep the 25 watters in there on top, Yes.

Now... Mine are 55hz (25 watt) blackbacks from 1977 so they have a tad more bottom ass to them with the heavier 55hz cones, so that makes a slight difference.

But I think you are going to LOVE the juicy mids you are missing with the four G12H's...

The 25 watters are like...A HUGE WALL OF MIDS! They are a perfect match for the G12H's in the bottom.

keith

Kieth, I'm just about to find out!! I have them in, I just need to solder them up:thu:

I won't be able to crank it until tomorrow though:cry:

:D

• Members

You'll know even without having it cranked, Bro!

Keith:)

The wife is whining its too loud:mad: I can barely hear the f'in thing:( The master section is not even working.

It does seem to have added a more round midrange and tamed some of the treble on the H30's. Despite the reduction in high end the clean channel seems to be improved!:confused::thu: (this is all at REALLY low volume though)

Roll on tomorrow:D

• Members

Hey guys,

Anyone tried a GB top/H30 bottom in anything besides a Bogner cab? Just curious, I picked up four 1960As for cheap and was going to try this out when I have the cash.

Is this a good mix to try for someone wanting to try both speakers for the first time? I'm guessing this split top/bottom would be the best compromise for live usage and having a combo for recording...

Also, any input on the Weber versions vs the Celestion reissues vs originals of each?

• Members

Originally posted by flyangus

The wife is whining its too loud:mad: I can barely hear the f'in thing:( The master section is not even working.

It does seem to have added a more round midrange and tamed some of the treble on the H30's. Despite the reduction in high end the clean channel seems to be improved!
:confused::thu:
(this is all at REALLY low volume though)

Roll on tomorrow:D

Hehehehe....

I didn't even try the cleans!! LOL!!

I just put them in the cab this morning and played for a while on Blue and Red... then I had to get to work.

When I get home, I'll try some clean stuff.

I will be interested in hearing what you think FA.

I also noticed a real....hmmm, transparency to the feel and tone. More wood on wood chunky thickness...

I turned my pres and treble up a bit and it does NOT get too "glassy" now.

See what you think!

Keith

• Members

Hehehehe....

I didn't even try the cleans!! LOL!!

I just put them in the cab this morning and played for a while on Blue and Red... then I had to get to work.

When I get home, I'll try some clean stuff.

I will be interested in hearing what you think FA.

I also noticed a real....hmmm, transparency to the feel and tone. More wood on wood chunky thickness...

I turned my pres and treble up a bit and it does NOT get too "glassy" now.

See what you think!

Keith

I think I know what you mean, there's definitely some 'wood' in there! They seem to impart some 'elasticity' to the feel as well.

I think I'll like them, but let's see when i give it some wellie:thu:

• Members

It's like the tone is no longer "Tonk-Tonk"... It's more like "Chunk-Chunk" now!!

LOVE IT !!!!

:)
:)

Noooooooooooooooooo! :mad: You guys are going to make me break down and buy some more speakers!!! GAS is bad :mad: :mad:

;)

• Members

flyangus!!!

What's your verdict on the greenbacks, Bro???

:confused:
:confused:
;)

keith

Keith!

I only got about 20 mins on them today. There are definitely more rich mids there, but I kind of miss the 'slice' the H30's have for high gain stuff. For mid gain though they sound great, I'm sure that Angus Young uses greenies! Love them for DC:thu:

At the moment the jury is out. I'll try to compare them mic'd. When they are broken in that'll help too! Also, I only had the back of the cab pushed in not screwed, maybe that makes a difference?

How are you liking them now you've had some time on them?

Cheers,

Angus

• Members

I know your a fan of the classic rather than the 101B, but how does the Red Channel compare?

Oh no.....you poor soul. Your fix'n to get the 101B/Classic squarhead ass rape. :D :D :D

luv ya square ;)

• Members

Keith!

I only got about 20 mins on them today. There are definitely more rich mids there, but I kind of miss the 'slice' the H30's have for high gain stuff. For mid gain though they sound great, I'm sure that Angus Young uses greenies! Love them for DC:thu:

At the moment the jury is out. I'll try to compare them mic'd. When they are broken in that'll help too! Also, I only had the back of the cab pushed in not screwed, maybe that makes a difference?

How are you liking them now you've had some time on them?

Cheers,

Angus

I like 'em!

I can raise my presence and treble and I get that slice back, but it's still smoother, which I love!

...and yes, the cleans and mid gains are way better too.

Like I said, all I did was raise the presence and treble and it was ALL the way I was hoping I'd hear it!!

Play with it a few days and I'm guessing you'll love it too, Bro!

Keith

• Members

Originally posted by BrentSP

Oh no.....you poor soul. Your fix'n to get the 101B/Classic squarhead ass rape.

luv ya square
;)

Nahhhh ... Look earlier on in the thread, Brent ...lol... I was easy on him!! All Bogners are great! It's so subjective.

hehe...

Keith

• Members

Nahhhh ... Look earlier on in the thread, Brent ...lol... I was easy on him!! All Bogners are great! It's so subjective.

hehe...

Keith

I know bro I read it.........when I get a chance to poke at ya I do. :D

Only Bogner I have now is the Shiva.........and yes I kinda miss the XTC to. If I ever go that route again I'll probably go for the Classic this time.

• Members

How do the mids on the greenbacks compare to the mids of a Vintage 30? Right now I've got a V30 paired with my H30 in a 2x12. They sound pretty good together, but I'm very interested in the greenies, too, possibly for my 1x12 cab that's currently sitting empty. Partly because it's a less sensitive speaker, and my amps could use a little volume control from the speaker end of things...would make the wife a little more receptive to my basement jamming! :D

• Members

Originally posted by BrentSP

Oh no.....you poor soul. Your fix'n to get the 101B/Classic squarhead ass rape.

luv ya square
;)

LOL!

The only thing I was considering was getting a Classic as well !!:D

My 101B isn't going anywhere..................(famous last words!)

• Members

I like 'em!

I can raise my presence and treble and I get that slice back, but it's still smoother, which I love!

...and yes, the cleans and mid gains are way better too.

Like I said, all I did was raise the presence and treble and it was ALL the way I was hoping I'd hear it!!

Play with it a few days and I'm guessing you'll love it too, Bro!

Keith

I must admit I raised the treble a hair and that was all. I already have the presence at 3.30! Are your greenies new or broken in?

• Members

Originally posted by Surfcaster

How do the mids on the greenbacks compare to the mids of a Vintage 30? Right now I've got a V30 paired with my H30 in a 2x12. They sound pretty good together, but I'm very interested in the greenies, too, possibly for my 1x12 cab that's currently sitting empty. Partly because it's a less sensitive speaker, and my amps could use a little volume control from the speaker end of things...would make the wife a little more receptive to my basement jamming!

I prefer the greenbacks, but I have only spent about 20 mins on them at volume and I don't like V30's anyway! Someone else will give you a better answer.

• Members

Well, I'm not convinced I like V30s either...bought one based on all the hype, but have never been completely sold on it. I have liked it okay in combination with other speakers (H30, or the Mesa Celestion Custom 90), but no so much by itself.

• Members

I must admit I raised the treble a hair and that was all. I already have the presence at 3.30! Are your greenies new or broken in?

Ok... That's the one thing (and the Classic vs 101B) that we might be experiencing a little different, Bro.

Mine are Blackback 25 watters from 1977 with 55hz cones... so they are a little heavier in the bass and a little stiffer than the regular 75hz cones, maybe a little clsoer to the G12H in some respects... not quite as much of the "soft tone/mush" factor that the regular greenies have.

Keith

• Members

i'm not sure i prefer the sound of the greenies over the other speakers for clean tones. i think a gh30 or even (gasp) the 75 does more what i'm after for cleans, which is not break up early and handle bass in a tighter more compressed way.

but the crunch and lead sounds are very cool w/ greens.

resonant, fiery, classic.

• Members

Mine are Blackback 25 watters from 1977 with 55hz cones... so they are a little heavier in the bass and a little stiffer than the regular 75hz cones, maybe a little clsoer to the G12H in some respects... not quite as much of the "soft tone/mush" factor that the regular greenies have.

Keith

So the 55hz greenbacks are the tightest greenbacks of them all? Any era known to be tighter than others?

Do Blackbacks, greenbacks, creambacks, all have their own tone? Or is the 55hz cone the crucial factor?

I wonder about those GB heritage re-issues?

• Members

Originally posted by thegame

So the 55hz greenbacks are the tightest greenbacks of them all? Any era known to be tighter than others?

Do Blackbacks, greenbacks, creambacks, all have their own tone? Or is the 55hz cone the crucial factor?

I wonder about those GB heritage re-issues?

The Heritage G12H's have 55hz cones...

The 20 watt Greenies I think are the regular 75hz cones and the 35oz magnets vs the 50oz magnets of the G12H...

I have not tried them, but I'm told by a person I trust that I would love the Heritage G12H's as they are more close to the originals... not the highs and lows as much as the reissue G12h 30th Anniv and much smoooother with more mids.

Kw

• Members

Originally posted by StevieRaveOn

Hey guys,

Anyone tried a GB top/H30 bottom in anything besides a Bogner cab? Just curious, I picked up four 1960As for cheap and was going to try this out when I have the cash.

Is this a good mix to try for someone wanting to try both speakers for the first time? I'm guessing this split top/bottom would be the best compromise for live usage and having a combo for recording...

Also, any input on the Weber versions vs the Celestion reissues vs originals of each?

Anyone? Not trying to be a pest... These are just some of the big questions brewing in my head about this speaker buy. Any help would be appreciated.

Archived