Renewed Mark IV lust....

somata

• Members

warning: long ass rambling post...

i've flirted with the mark iv for about 3 or 4 years now....my first contact was with a used one, that was only $700, but at the time i was putting together a rack set-up and wanted the short version head, and this was the long head (doh!!!) so i got a rack set-up built around a hughes and kettner access preamp. then i started my current band, and the rack was just too much programming to adjust levels and such for home vs. practice, i spending half of each practice trying to get everything dialed in, and then i still wasn't hanging with quite enough volume for the loud ass drummer i play with. so i decided to get a head, reasoning that its more adjustable on the fly (which has so far been true). so i tried out the mark iv (about a year and a half-ago. i was set on getting one new and financing it through the local shop. last run through i took in my parker fly, and i just couldn't get the sound 100% where i liked it...i figured i could tweak it out with my processor, but i couldn't bring myself to finance $1600 when i wasn't 100% sure. so i ended up getting a dual recto solo head (because i realized that was the sound i was pretty much trying to get anyways). i've been super happy with the dual. i set it up differently than most, using channel 2 vintage for my high gain, and get a killer sound. but my thoughts have turned to the mark iv again lately. so 2 weeks ago, i made the mistake of trying one out again, and of course, it sounded killer. :mad: now i'm experiencing renewed mark iv lust....i may have found a pretty good deal on one through a friend of a friend, but i have a few hang-ups/questions:

-i was able to get a high gain sound similiar to my recto (again, i use channel 2 vintage, with the gain about 2:00) but had to max a couple of parameters (gain, treble, etc.) which was a bit noisy/hummy do you think that can be dialed out with the noise gate on my g-major?

-also related to the g-major...with its switching jacks allow me to switch all 3 channels (i know i'd need a more expansive switcher for all the switchable options)?

those are the two looming questions right now, i may think of more....

thanks for the help!

• Members

I can't answer any of the G Major questions.

I just sold my Mark IV and picked up a Tremoverb. I am very happy with the switch. The Mark IV is a great amp, but it just doesn't have the same sound of the Rectos, which is really what I need for my new band. The Recto has a lot more gain... but I think the Mark has more usable gain. It's really just two different gains. The Mark IV is tighter, but the Recto is looser and more agressive.

• Members

Originally posted by somata

i was able to get a high gain sound similiar to my recto (again, i use channel 2 vintage, with the gain about 2:00) but had to max a couple of parameters (gain, treble, etc.)

Did you also pull the gain and presence knobs? That'll give you some more crunch if you need it. You can also crank the master and turn the output volume to really push that power section more.

You can also try switching out some tubes, el34s brighten the amp up and also seem to give it a little more gain.

Just a few suggestions if you wanna turn that treble down, though treble does add gain as well and it's easy to EQ that out with the graphic...

• Members

Originally posted by Woody777

I can't answer any of the G Major questions.

Me either, Somata you are really cutting the pool buy asking Mark IV questions with a G-major. Not many people use that combo. The guitar player in my band does, but I use stompboxes with mine.

As far as R2, try boosting it with an overdrive pedal instead of maxing the gain and treble out, that should help you reduce the noise.

BTW Somata, are you in a band in South Bend? I live pretty close to there....

• Members

i'm pretty sure i can use the g-major relays to just switch the channels...really i was looking for confirmation.

really the thing that i'm most curious about is the noise floor. even without the gate in my processor, my recto is pretty quiet, with the gate, its silent. the mark iv seemed noisier to get the sound i was after....

blackba-

yeah, i play in a band called The Arsonist's Daughter. i'm in south bend, the drummer and singer are in elkhart, and our other guitar player is in warsaw. we play quite a bit (although have had a few weeks off) next show in on april 8th in niles michigan. where are you located? are you in a band?

DannyM-

no, not planning on getting rid of the recto. i really love it. the mark iv would be an addition to the family....good luck on finding one though!

Archived