Is a StudioLive overkill for mostly keyboards??

Bach42t

• Members

I want a good quality mixer, digital seems like nice but am I going overboard by purchasing the StudioLive? Another thing is I don't have any dedicated effects racks and I understand this mixer has built-in effects. What are your thoughts?

• Members

How are you planning to use the mixer? How about a nice line mixer like the Rane SM 82S? It does not have effects, but it does 8 stereo channels of very clean sound with gain, pan, and (external) effects send for each channel, an effects return and pan, and a master gain and pan. Also you can chain two together. I am very happy with this mixer for use with synths.

• Members

That Rane is an excellent choice! I was previously using the Rolls line mixer to do the same thing. The Studiolive does seem like overkill. In order to bring a recording live option to my mixing needs, I recently just paired an Motu 828 MkIII with an 8Pre. With the 8Pre lightpiped to the 828, I have a 16 track mixer in two rack spaces with onboard fx for outputs to house and can simply firewire to a laptop and record the whole works live if I want.

There is a new single rack space interface from Tascam that can also do the trick if you don't want onboard fx.

• Members

Okay so the Rane will give me a 1U basic mixer and nothing too crazy. I like that idea, but what do I need to get the 16 inputs in it digitally recorded into my computer? Is it as easy as purchasing a MOTU interface with 16 inputs and connecting the two? I don't think I will do too much external recording. MAYBE one or two channels I would record vocals or a brass instrument. I want to be able to mix myself in (trombone) to an orchestral application (using EWQL Samples).

• Members

the StudioLive would be a great choice for you if you compose & mix your own music, and especially if you've come up mixing on a desk rather than in the box. the workflow is much different than just using direct ins on your soundcard, and it has digital connectivity equivilent to the motu 828 series with expanded analog capability for integration with outboard gear.

it's definitely a nice centerpiece for the project studio, though as an onstage-type line mixer its far from ideal.

• Members

the StudioLive would be a great choice for you if you compose & mix your own music, and especially if you've come up mixing on a desk rather than in the box. the workflow is much different than just using direct ins on your soundcard, and it has digital connectivity equivilent to the motu 828 series with expanded analog capability for integration with outboard gear.

it's definitely a nice centerpiece for the project studio, though as an onstage-type line mixer its far from ideal.

I guess I can't use it as a DAW solution, since it has no midi, no word clock, no ADAT so I can't sync it with anything. I would still need to purchase a MOTU or a Fireface. Hmm....

So I think I am going to purchase the StudioLive. With that being my mixing console, outside of using it for its mixing capabilities and recording, I believe I am still going to need an interface that would work with Cubase. So I am back to square one. I guess I love this mixer for everything it is, but still may not be the only thing I need.

• Members

I guess I can't use it as a DAW solution, since it has no midi, no word clock, no ADAT so I can't sync it with anything. I would still need to purchase a MOTU or a Fireface. Hmm....

So I think I am going to purchase the StudioLive. With that being my mixing console, outside of using it for its mixing capabilities and recording, I believe I am still going to need an interface that would work with Cubase. So I am back to square one. I guess I love this mixer for everything it is, but still may not be the only thing I need.

you absolutely can use it as a front end for your DAW, it has a full firewire AD/DA matrix right out of the box - i.e. all input channels can stream discretely right to your DAW, and play back the same way.

no midi, it's true, but midi is best handled with a seperate box anyway.

ADAT? You'll have 16 mic pres as well as numerous line I/O... for your needs right now you have more than enough in and outs. you shouldn't need wordclock at this level, either.

with the addition of a midi interface, this should have everything you need.

Archived