Which Marshall?

Devinstation

• Members

I currently have a Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401, and It is a great amp, but I'm gonna be gigging again here soon in a punk band, and I love the tone of my marshall but I need a bit more power, so Im thinking of grabbing a half stack, so for the head I want to know what youg guys think I should get. I was thinking maybe a JCM 900 of some sort. Its punk/ska so the cleans need to sound good and the distortion needs to be punchy with a lot of gain.

• Members

Originally posted by D/FW XJ'er

DSL50 watt head with a matching 4x12?

Maybe even the DSL100?

+1

Don't get a 900.

Anything but a 900 in my opinion.

What about the new Fender Supersonic? I really think that'd be perfect for what you want.

• Members

Originally posted by Devinstation

Oh I need to mention that my budget is pretty limited, so I may end up selling off the DSL401, hopefully getting 450-500+ for that and then after that I dont want to spend a lot more. Tonally what is the difference between the DSLs and TSLs?

Between what you have, and what you'll be going to, either wuold be a vast improvement (IMO)

IMO, the DSL 401 is the worst "Marshall" I've heard, owned and played through, but, it fit the nitch I needed it for, when I had it.

• Members

Originally posted by kannibul

Between what you have, and what you'll be going to, either wuold be a vast improvement (IMO)

IMO, the DSL 401 is the worst "Marshall" I've heard, owned and played through, but, it fit the nitch I needed it for, when I had it.

That because of your "fan mod" LOL

• Members

Originally posted by sweet_emotion16

i think the dsl 50 can do just about anything resonably well... i like the crunch channel ,but just use an overdrive pedal for extra gain.. the ultra channel kinda blows

I agree completely. I love the crunch channel on the DSL50, but the Red Channel is really hard to dial in. Some people like it. It's probably not a good amp for ska/punk though because unless you like the ultra channel, it's essentially a single channel amp. I'd suggest just using the crunch channel and rolling back on the volume for cleans but for ska you really need that bright/loud clean sound.

Archived