5881/6l6gc how much of a difference is there really?

Sordid1

• Members

I had someone suggest to me that I might dig 5881's in my JSX. My question is how do they differ from 6l6gc's. I realize that different brands are different but i'm looking for a general difference. I always thought they were the same thing.

_Shane

• Members

I don' t think the newer 5881s are 'true' ones like the old TungSol ones. The 5881s were smaller bottle, could handle less voltage and had less output than 6L6s. I have 'real' TungSols, and have ran them in different amps. They break up quicker, and have a softer high end to my ear, also the bottom isn't as tight. I think you're going to want to stick to the 6L6GCs in that amp, personally.

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

I don' t think the newer 5881s are 'true' ones like the old TungSol ones. The 5881s were smaller bottle, could handle less voltage and had less output than 6L6s. I have 'real' TungSols, and have ran them in different amps. They break up quicker, and have a softer high end to my ear, also the bottom isn't as tight. I think you're going to want to stick to the 6L6GCs in that amp, personally.

Pete

Thanks Pete, you know me my curiosity gets the best of me even after I tell myself I shouldn't be considering anything else.

_Shane

• Members

Originally posted by tomresurrection

the sovtek 5881's im running in my 6505+ right now sound {censored}ing awesome. A hell of a lot better than the stock Ruby 6L6GC tubes they came with.

I want to try the JJ's again when i need new power tubes, but the 5881's have a great tone to them.

true:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by soiajake

I have two Sovtek brand 5881's for sale... $20 ppd. 5 minutes or less playing time.

Well, with only 5 minutes playing time on them I am going to assume you did not like them. What didn't you like about them?

Archived