Waldorf Pulse vs. Spectral Audio Neptune 2

• Members

NovaMusik has the Neptune2 in stock and I have serious gas for one. Question is, I already have a Waldorf Pulse. Are the tonal differences between the two enough to make it a worthwhile purchase or am I getting into redundancy territory? What makes the Neptune special aside from good hands-on control?

• Members

I have a the Pulse, Protone, Neptune and Neptune II and feel the only two that are similar are the Neptunes. The only reason I kept the original Neptune is it is a purple version. I think the Spectral stuff is more true to old school raw analog synths compared to the Pulse. The knobs also give them a more hands on feel.

:thu:

• Members

Nice Neptune talk :lol:

Curious how the Protone sounds and how that compares to the Neptune. Isn't the Protone 303ish?

Anyways, I think the Neptune is more raw analog, whereas the Pulse I found to be almost a hybrid. The pulse has very heavy bass. Definitely punchy. The only thing is the Osc.s (which contributes to the overall sound of it) seem like they lack something, which is why I say it sounds hybrid-ish. I liked it's punchiness a lot and thought it was great at sound fx. But if you want straight analog and not a hybrid, then go with the Neptune.

I used the Pulse in a track for bass and realized there was something missing. I layered my SE ATC-X and bingo. The ATC-X gave me the rawness I needed and was looking for.

So short answer, the Pulse won't overlap with any of those or most anything for that matter.

• Members

Anyway, I think the Neptune is more raw analog, whereas the Pulse I found to be almost a hybrid. The pulse has very heavy bass. Definitely punchy. The only thing is the Osc.s (which contributes to the overall sound of it) seem like they lack something, which is why I say it sounds hybrid-ish. I liked it's punchiness a lot and thought it was great at sound fx. But if you want straight analog and not a hybrid, then go with the Neptune.

It seems we agree on there sounds. As for the Protone. It emulates a 303 about as good as a BassStation which to me is nothing like a 303. I also have a Syntrack which is a cool quirky little synth.

Yes. I'm Burster. I tried to stay away to focus more on career changing projects, but just couldn't do it.. The game plan was to enjoy the forum and not get to involved. Damn Don busted me someway. It could be there is only 12 purple Neptunes ,which he knew I owned, and I was lucky enough to get one. What's funny is Sonic State is using a cropped picture of mine for there review of the Neptune.

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/neptune_spectral.cfm

• Members

If you haven't called NovaMusik, you should - just to make sure it is really in stock. They never update their website. I waited 6 months for Nova to get a Neptune II, and during that entire time their website said "in stock". I finally gave up and bought a Moog LP.

I don't think you'll have overlap with the Pulse. The Neptune sounds more raw to me. At least, from all the samples I've collected. I don't own one. :cry: I think the Neptune's filter sounds a bit like a VCS3, and could probably do a very good rendition of Pink Floyd's "On The Run".

It's all personal prefence of course, but I don't care for the Waldorf sound too much.

haha, what is it about beds that make them attract synths?
:D

New sticky thread for pics? "Synths on Beds"?

• Members

If you haven't called NovaMusik, you should - just to make sure it is really in stock. They never update their website. I waited 6 months for Nova to get a Neptune II, and during that entire time their website said "in stock". I finally gave up and bought a Moog LP.

I don't think you'll have overlap with the Pulse. The Neptune sounds more raw to me. At least, from all the samples I've collected. I don't own one.
:cry:
I think the Neptune's filter sounds a bit like a VCS3, and could probably do a very good rendition of Pink Floyd's "On The Run".

It's all personal prefence of course, but I don't care for the Waldorf sound too much.

New sticky thread for pics? "Synths on Beds"?

I had emailed them about the availiblity and got a response that they *just* got them in stock. I purchased one last night.

Archived