I have an old fender twin coming to me, what should I expect

Bob Sacamano

• Members

I have an old fender twin reverb (2x12) coming to me. It's a silver face and hasn't been played in 25-30 years. It was in working condition the last time that it was played.

I don't know too much about these amps but I gather that the ones with black faces are more desireable. What's the actual difference?

Can I expect this thing to work at all?

If it's working and just not sounding 100% roughly how much money would I have to spend to get it back up to snuff. I have about $200 to spend getting it fixed up.

• Members

it;s probably better to wait until you get it before jumping to conclusions... id say you'll need a tueb change right off the bat... that could cost you depending on what tubes were to go in there. What's the story with this amp? Like was it in Grandma's closet/attic covered with a dustcloth and in mint condition, or was kept in a moist garage with leaky oil cans and {censored} on it?

• Members

Plug it in and turn it on but hang back at least 5 feet and turn it on with a wooden stick so you don't get electrocuted.

:D

Just use common sense like Satanists do considering the amp has not been powered up in a long time. Make sure nothing looks broken or damaged and maybe tampered with in some unusual way. You may have a gem on your hands or just a really old worn out amp. The suspense is getting to you isn't it? It would me while I was waiting for it.

Sorry about the satanist comment, that was from another thread.

• Members

Originally posted by bluesboy

it;s probably better to wait until you get it before jumping to conclusions... id say you'll need a tueb change right off the bat... that could cost you depending on what tubes were to go in there. What's the story with this amp? Like was it in Grandma's closet/attic covered with a dustcloth and in mint condition, or was kept in a moist garage with leaky oil cans and {censored} on it?

It's been sitting covered in my grandparents house since the last time it was played. It belonged to an uncle of mine who has an unfortunate motorcycle accident 25-30 years ago. His LP and Strat are at the house too but my grandparents aren't letting those go yet.

• Members

It really depends how old it is and what condition it's in. If it's very old then you'll need to put a grounded mains lead on it before plugging it in (or you risk electrocution).

From there, and in decreasing order of likelihood, you may need to replace:

1) Tubes
2) Capacitors
3) Speaker
4) Transformers
5) Any other components

$200 will probably get you as far as 2) so just hope everything is in working order.

Archived