Chroma Polaris: Internal clipping?

ElectricPuppy

• Members

I'm wondering if there's something that needs attention in my Polaris or if this is just par for the course for these beasties: Oftentimes I can hear some clipping of the signal, which makes it hard to get truly smooth sounds out of it. For instance, strings have a bit more bite on them then they should have, and it's not a harmonious bite, either. Filtered sounds that ought to be smooth have a little bit of distortion edge on them. It's vevry subtle, but it bugs me.

I've tried lowing both the main volume and the patch volume, and it seems to make no difference, other than to raise the noise floor. All six voices are identical. I'm wondering if the signal path is overdriven by a flawed design or if possibly some components are at fault. I've pored over the service manual and can't find any mention of calibration of any kind for signal levels.

Anyone else have a Polaris and can confirm/deny this clipping?

• Members

The Polaris I once owned was exactly the same way.....I had a very hard time coaxing "smooth" sounds out it....(but then again, I'm no ace programmer).....it was always very angry/earthy/icy sounding...... when I ran it through effects though (Ensoniq) I could get it tamed quite a bit....sounded great layered with the Juno 106...... shouldnt have gotten rid that either. .....:facepalm:

• Members

Thanks, Astreus! I mainly think it's a genetic defect, considering how consistent it is. I'll probably wind up poking around in there with my scope anyway, just to prove to myself that it's really the synth and not my poor programming abilities. :D And maybe find a way to tame it. It's easier to make a smooth synth angry than to make an angry synth smooth.

(In Russia, angry synth smooth YOU.)

Archived