Epiphone valve junior played with the band

bluesboy

• Members

So i used the epiphone valve junior head through my vox 4X12 with my band last night... volume a little past noon was plenty enough wiht my telecaster, and we have aloud drummer. Pedals used were: analogman modded maxon SD as main distortion, bad monkey as clean booster, boss noise suppressor. It had a really heavy tone, slightly scooped mids, but it sat well in the mix. with volume at 3 oclock or so, i was overbearing in the mix lol. Cool amp...

• Members

Sweet. What type of music were you playing with it?

Do you really need the noise suppressor with the amp, do did you just use it cause you have it? I personally don't like using a noise suppressor if I don't have to....

• Members

I just played mine for the first time. I played a couple of hours and time flew by. That should tell you a lot.

I`m going to post an in depth review a little later, but I will say this. I love this little amp. It delivers tone in spades and does exactly what I hoped it would. It`s absolutely the best $99.99 I`ve ever spent on a piece of musical gear.

bluesboy- Glad you are liking yours bro. :thu:

Eric

• Members

Just cracked mine open. Delivered yesterday. Did an initial pass using my Tele Special that's a 5 way, with a humbucker in the neck and a Lil59 in the bridge.

I ran it through a tweed Carvin 4x10 open back with 2 Rajun Cajuns and 2 Carvin VL10 speakers in it. Not bad... Also ran it into my vintage Marshall 4x12 w/ blackback 25watters and it had way more precense and brilliance in the tone.

I also played a standard Tele with a Duncan Jerry Donahue bridge pup running it into a 1x12 open back cab with a Celestion Classic Lead 80 and it had many of the characteristics of the 4x12. Really a great tone with the volume between 10:00 and 2:00 on the dial. Surprisingly very Dr.Z/Matchless like.

I then popped in a JJ EL84 and ECC83S. It smoothed it uo a bit, but the preamp tube may be a tad too hot. Still not sure. The Sovteks really weren't that bad.

Well still more experimenting with other cabs and tubes and maybe next week I'll bring it down to my recording studio and do some clips with the best combination to post here.

• Members

we play stuff like STP- interstate love song, sex type thing,

machine head by BUSH, slither by VR, things like that. Basically I nail these tones with this setup, and volume to spare. So rihgt now my setup is standard tele with 10's, to boss tu-2, wah pedal, to bad monkey as clean boost, maxon SD with medium distortion setting, to noise suppressor, to epi junior, to vox 4X12. i use the noise suppressor not because the amp is noisy (it isn't noisy at all really) but a single coil guitar with a boosted distortion gets quite a bit of hum when not palying....

• Members

that's pretty cool to hear!

I think I can get over the tone control problam with just an EQ pedal or two (2 settings - clean and gainy). is should work isn't it?

looks like a great little thing and if it works well in a band situation that's even better!

• Members

Very cool. I also played a Tele with humbuckers through a Valve Jr. at our last gig (classic rock/blues) and it sounded amazing. Stage volume was just borderline loud enough going thru a 2x12 cab, but it was mic'd through our PA too. I bought another VJ head and am going to experiment splitting into 2 1x12 closed back cabs. Will let you know how that goes. Yeah, the JJs were an improvement, but the Sovteks didn't sound bad to me.

Archived