Marshall VS 8100 problem

Asesino

• Members

Hey, i've got this amp lying here from a friend, its a marshall vs 8100. There seems to be some kind of input-problem cus when i plug in, there is almost no sound, only when you turn the volume past 5-6 there seems to be some sound but its very quiet.

Any advice on what to do?

• Members

Originally posted by Asesino

Hey, i've got this amp lying here from a friend, its a marshall vs 8100. There seems to be some kind of input-problem cus when i plug in, there is almost no sound, only when you turn the volume past 5-6 there seems to be some sound but its very quiet.

Any advice on what to do?

Obviously the signal isn't amplified. Check out, if the preamp or the poweramp is the problem (after you've followed the tips of the previous replies). Use the send of your FX loop to another poweramp. If the problem still exists, then it's the preamp. Change the preamp tubes (or is it only one? I don't know :D). Otherwise the problem is in the power amp section or after it (cabs).

• Members

Well, if the preamp's ok, then test the poweramp by plugin in any sounddevice into the return jack of the fx loop. If still nothing changes, then it's the (transistorized) poweramp. Repairing a solid state amp isn't that easy, because of the high integration of the parts. It could be anything from lesser problems like cold soldering points or {censored}ed up (aged :D) electrolytic capacitors to severe damages like blown poweramp transistors (often the whole poweramp is only one chip!). If the amp hasn't been played for a long time, i assume that it's only the aging thing i mentioned.

Archived