Thinking of buying a rhodes.(help needed)

Fogflip

• Members

I have a chance to pick up a rhodes mki suitcase in good shape a few knicks in the tolex and one sticky key. Amp works has sustain pedal original owner. He is asking 700 good deal, ok, or hold off. I have contemplated buying a rhodes for a bit now. Am i better off waiting to find a fender rhodes or is the rhodes mki just as sexy to the ears? Also any other info you might have about these would be greatly appreciated.

• Members

I would say that's a good deal if it's in good shape. Especially with the speaker cabinet. I would buy it.

A couple of the vintage keys guys here would say that's too much money. I paid $900 for a Mk1 Stage in excellent condition and I feel happy about it. 15 years ago I bought 2 of them much cheaper than that, but they were barely playable, and they serve as parts.

I think all the Rhodes are sexy to the ears. The suitcase is probably my favorite, though I have a Stage (no speaker cabinet, no tremolo, no preamp).

• Members

i bought and sold a pristine MkII for $500 a few years ago. $700 for a playable mkI is not a steal, but i've seen them for more. you could probably get back what you paid for it if you chose to sell it.

has it been serviced recently? most MKI's that have been sitting around need a good tuning, that can add $ to the bottom line.

Archived