Question on Peters Amp

bull13

• Members

Of all things today I found a Peters amp at GC! The model is the Wolverine but James' site appears to be down so I can't get any info on it. In particular I was wondering if anybody can tell me what they sold for new so I can determine if the $ is fair.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

• Members

The wolverine is now discontinued. It was offered before James Peters switched to making his Dual Channel amps. It's most likely a 10 watt model. I think he only made one 50 watt version. I think the 10 watt Wolvernine was around $1000, but you should wait for an answer from James Peters.

• Members

The Wolverine sold for $850 USD at the time. It's no longer in production. It was sold to the GC second-hand; GC is not a dealer of my products.

My site is still up at petersamplification.com. The site was formerly hosted by a company who had reliability issues, so I transferred the site (having no choice but to leave the domain for the time being) to a new domain.

If you like the amp, you'll have to determine what you think is fair since I don't make them anymore. Although the WarHawk is the replacement for the Wolverine, and it can be had in a Custom Dual Channel format. I do prefer the class AB amps I make these days, so you know which I'd recommend. :cool:

• Members

James, I liked the amp a lot and at the price that i'm getting it I don't think i can go wrong. Any suggestions as to a good speaker for a 1x12 cab for the amp? I played through a closed back 1x12 w/a vintage 30 and it sounded good, but i've never worked with an amp with wattage that low.

Thanks again for your help.

• Members

I have a Wolverine and I love it. Kick ass rock & metal amp. BUT, don't forget it is 10 watts and because of that it has limitations. I've used it with a band several times no problem. Again, I love mine but it is what it is. 10 watts is not 50 or 100 watts. That's an obvious statement but I believe the reason James stopped making 10 watt amps was because people would complain about head room or volume. 10 watts and head room should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

My favorite speakers for it are Greenbacks. Actually Greenbacks are my favorite for everything. I think James recommends V30's so it's one of those things that you have to try for yourself. Kick ass amp though no matter what speakers you use.

• Members

I hear ya' James. I have cabs w/ V30's, 75's, Greenbacks, and an old school Mesa cab. They (my Peters collection :)) sound good through all of them but I love the creamy sound of the Greenies and I always go back to them.

You know how it goes - everyone likes different things and what sounds good to me might not sound good to you. That's part of the fun isn't it?

• Members

Thanks for the input guys. I was actually looking for something smaller to play in the garage, etc, so headroom won't be an issue. BTW I ended up making a deal for the amp of $350.00, but when it was unplugged from the cab it was displayed on I noticed that one of the speaker outs was broken.......it looked as though somebody had overtightened the nut? So I offered them $300 incl sales tax..SOLD:) I can't wait to fire this thing up at home it sounded great through the cheap ass Crate cab in the store.

• Members

That is a total steal at that price - good work. If you're just going to use it at home you'll love it. It sounds great at all volumes (like all of James' creations). The only way that you will be disappointed is if you're looking for clean sounds out of it. The Wolverine is a fire breather so if gain is your thing then it's a GREAT amp. Congrats.

• Members

That's a steal. If you can replace that nut on the jack (or have a tech replace the jack, which is fairly simple work), you should be able to flip the amp for twice that price easily.

Just so you know, some Crate cabs are actually quite good. Their 4x12s with Vintage 30s are my current favorite 4x12 cabs. So if you're hoping to use a smaller cab than that and get a sound "at least as good as those cheap Crate cabs", you might be in for a surprise. :)

I hope you like the amp. It's technically not under warranty anymore but let me know if anything is up with it (besides cosmetic damage, tubes/fuses). I'm not a stickler when it comes to the expiry of my warranty, since I almost never have to repair the amps anyway. I'd offer to fix the jack but with the cost of shipping/brokerage both ways it makes more sense for a local tech to do the work.

• Members

Out of curiosity James the serial # is 04001, so when did you make it? I think it has the original tubes in it as well, Svetlana el34. Love the blue tolex on this thing as well, sweet sounding and looking. BTW, the guy at GC that took the amp as a trade in gave the previous owner $900 for it as he had no idea WTF it was. GC took a bath on this one...bout time they took some kind of bath.

• Members

Originally posted by bull13

GC took a bath on this one...bout time they took some kind of bath.

+1000 I love hearing about people actually getting a good deal at GC. Even more when you know they are losing money. :D

Seriously though, nice score. Can I be first on the list if you don't like it? {censored}, even at double the price. I've had severe gas for another low wattage high gainer for a while now.

• Members

Originally posted by bull13

Out of curiosity James the serial # is 04001, so when did you make it? I think it has the original tubes in it as well, Svetlana el34. Love the blue tolex on this thing as well, sweet sounding and looking. BTW, the guy at GC that took the amp as a trade in gave the previous owner $900 for it as he had no idea WTF it was. GC took a bath on this one...bout time they took some kind of bath.

I made that in early 2004. It was the first one of those I made, actually. Not that a lot were made; people didn't go for the "small amp" thing, so I canned that pretty quickly. It's too bad because I made a 50W class AB Wolverine in the same size chassis, and you can imagine how cool it'd be to haul around an amp that small--but then turn it up at a jam and have everyone's eyes jump out of their heads. (My "50W" amps are louder than a lot of so-called "100W" amps being made these days.) The "sleeper" aspect, as it turns out, wasn't appreciated. Bad decision on my part. :)

I know who traded it in, and I'm not surprised that he got that for it--he probably told them it was worth more and they believed it. Not my fault; I'm here and can be reached by email or phone, if they don't want to be bothered to check the price which was on my site at the time that is. :)

• Members

ONe last question James, could you recommend a compliment of preamp tubes for the amp as there are three different ones in there now: Ruby 12ax7 v1, and chinese 12ax7's v2&3. I was looking for something to mellow it out just a tad. Perhaps I will try a KT66 as well. Did I understand the manual correctly in that using 6l6s would require doubling the impedence? If so does that mean I can't use them if i'm using a 16 ohm cab now?

Thanks again for your assitance.

• Members

It's meant to be higher gain and aggressive; you might be able to soften it somewhat but it's not something I've ever tried to do. That being said, you can try Sovtek 12AX7WC. It's warmer and more balanced than a lot of other 12AX7 types. I do not recommend using anything other than 12AX7 or ECC83 types in the amp.

You don't have to double the impedance; it'll be safe using the normal settings. It just may sound more "normal" by doubling the impedance. You might prefer running it as-is, since it will take off some of the edge.

• Members

Originally posted by JamesPeters

I know who traded it in, and I'm not surprised that he got that for it--he probably told them it was worth more and they believed it. Not my fault; I'm here and can be reached by email or phone, if they don't want to be bothered to check the price which was on my site at the time that is.
:)

Maybe they heard how it sounds, and went by that. ;)

Archived