What's everybody liking in new EL34's

ratter

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by guitarded_1

I have tried SED's side by side in the same amp with Ruby's. SED's are a really solid tube, but to be honest, they sounded boxy in comparison (to my ears). The Ruby has EL34 complexity out the ass, but has a big bottom like a 6L6...kind of like an EL34 with a giant cock.

Excellent! Maybe I'll try them next in my Super Lead. I need my tubes to be hung like a horse... :D

• Members
Originally posted by ratter

So are you saying that each tube has a giant cock AND balls on it? This is getting worse and worse.
:freak:

I think so... The cock and balls come as a set usually. Can't see why they wouldn't in this case... :D

• Members

I like the Ruby's as well. Mainly because they don't really sound like an EL34 though....more like a real 6CA7 to me....for the classic EL34 tone you seem to be looking for, the SED's are good as are the EH's. The EH's are a bit softer than the SED's.
I just took out some SED/Svets and put Rubys in one of my Wizard's...the amp is much tighter, brighter and clearer with the Rubys....

• Members
Originally posted by Greazygeo

I like the Ruby's as well. Mainly because they don't really sound like an EL34 though....more like a real 6CA7 to me....for the classic EL34 tone you seem to be looking for, the SED's are good as are the EH's. The EH's are a bit softer than the SED's.

I just took out some SED/Svets and put Rubys in one of my Wizard's...the amp is much tighter, brighter and clearer with the Rubys....

I like how you're describing them Geo... :D

• Members
Originally posted by vlad

I like how you're describing them Geo...
:D

The answer is always "C".....

I think i still have the EH's in my Plexi...and the Svets came out of my Orange...i just happened to have two of the original Mullards that I put back in....I have to say, they rock in that amp!!

• Members

The answer is always "C".....

I think i still have the EH's in my Plexi...and the Svets came out of my Orange...i just happened to have two of the original Mullards that I put back in....I have to say, they rock in that amp!!

Mullards are great in those amps. I haven't tried Mullard EL34's in my SL, but I had some Mullard 12AX7's in there and they were fat, clear and defined. They started to go, so I replaced them with Electro Harmonix. I like those tubes alot... They sound almost as good.

• Members

Mullards are great in those amps. I haven't tried Mullard EL34's in my SL, but I had some Mullard 12AX7's in there and they were fat, clear and defined. They started to go, so I replaced them with Electro Harmonix. I like those tubes alot... They sound almost as good.

Yeah, when I got the Orange it still had all the original tubes...I had not been plaing all that long and figured they needed changed :rolleyes: Somehow I kept a pair of the EL34's all these years and stuck them back in and they still sound awesome! I think the head is early 70's maybe....

• Members

Let me clarify that the beautry of the Ruby EL34 is that it still has that complex, swirling midrange that a good EL34 is known for. It sounds like a classic EL34 in the midrange...but has a very clear top end and a big, transparent bottom end. The aspect that draws the 6L6 comparison is not in the actual tone...it's just in the fact that it sounds bigger than a normal EL34.

• Members

Yeah, when I got the Orange it still had all the original tubes...I had not been plaing all that long and figured they needed changed
:rolleyes:
Somehow I kept a pair of the EL34's all these years and stuck them back in and they still sound awesome! I think the head is early 70's maybe....

Oh wow... real NOS... :D

I'd get a quad of NOS EL34's but to me, it seems like they'll go too fast to actually pay off.

• Members
Originally posted by guitarded_1

Let me clarify that the beautry of the Ruby EL34 is that it still has that complex, swirling midrange that a good EL34 is known for. It sounds like a classic EL34 in the midrange...but has a very clear top end and a big, transparent bottom end. The aspect that draws the 6L6 comparison is not in the actual tone...it's just in the fact that it sounds bigger than a normal EL34.

And let's not forget... They have a big cock!:p

• Members

Originally posted by Peter Diezel

Sorry but have nothing else like bad experiences

with JJ.

Do they break on you? Or do you just not like the sound? I had E34L's in an amp. I liked them. I absolutely hated their 12AX7's though.

• Members

And let's not forget... They have a big cock!
:p

Yes...yes they do. SED's have a decent size cock, but it's more along the lines of the national average. The Ruby is more akin to John Holmes or Long Dong Silver...and when pushed...unloads like Peter North...a sonic "white rope" if you will.

Archived