HELP! Engl Classic icepick harshness... remedy?

Axeplyr

• Members

Originally posted by Axeplyr

At lower volumes, can I safely assume that and distortion/gain will be coming from the preamp? Maybe the power tubes are moot until I run the master volume towards full volume?

Thanks, sorry for being such a newbie on this stuff. I thought my years of lurking on these forums made me an armchair experts, turns out that ain't the case!

Yup. Lower volumes - the amp (the poweramp) produces a few Watts only and the powertubes could even be replaced with silicone IMO.

Just when you reach the loudness of a drummer (you don't need to crank it full of course ;) ) you'll hear big differences - as long as we speak about the same power-tube family. If you would put EL34 or 6550 inside - of course - you would hear their character earlier. All IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by Duesentrieb

Yup. Lower volumes - the amp (the poweramp) produces a few Watts only and the powertubes could even be replaced with silicone IMO.

Just when you reach the loudness of a drummer (you don't need to crank it full of course
;)
) you'll hear big differences - as long as we speak about the same power-tube family. If you would put EL34 or 6550 inside - of course - you would hear their character earlier. All IMO.

Thanks - that makes sense. I guess it won't hurt to put new power tubes in and bias, but I'll start looking at the preamp tubes then.

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by Axeplyr

Nope. I don't have the technology. The tube does sound great in my JCM-800 2204 though.

Alright, then its not the Mazda. Differential diagnosis, you know . . . I would still swap them ECCs a bit around and try some new stuff. Don't expect too drastical changes though . . .

• Members

Originally posted by Duesentrieb

Alright, then its not the Mazda. Differential diagnosis, you know . . . I would still swap them ECCs a bit around and try some new stuff. Don't expect too drastical changes though . . .

Bias looks about right. This is all leading where you're pointing! Thanks for the wizdom, I owe you a beer or two! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by LordRiffenstein

I guess I better not tell you what I paid for mine
:p
It's getting harder to get the good stuff for cheap though.

True. And it's getting worse. Luckily, I make alot more money than I used to. :p

Archived