List of Amp Kits

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

I'm really wanting to build an amp in the near future... I'd like to learn how to diagnose and hopefully fix problems in my other amps and this seems like a good way to go about it... plus, a great way to have a unique amp and tinker toy

I'll start with the only two I know

www.cerriatone.com

www.guytronix.com

www.tedweber.com

www.mojotone.com

www.metroamp.com

www.gdsamps.com

www.allenamps.com

I'll add to the list as you reply

• Members

How about some comments about them, I know one guy loved the jtm45 build he did from ceriatone.com, what do these companies do particularly well?

I want this thread to be worth something more than googling "amp kits" and such

Garfights seems to be an experienced builder, what is the extent of your experience with mojotone and weber kits?

• Members

i think if you're really serious about building a kit the best idea is to start with something small.. like a 5e3 kit.. and work your way up. i've been slowly accumulating things like old electronics books.. testing meters.. soldering irons and other assorted test gear.. alligator clips.. a lighted swing arm magnifying lens and stuff like that. then when i'm ready to sit down at a bench i'll have the right tools for the job. hopefully i'll have read enough background material to keep myself from becoming a statistic. :D

• Members

I'm thinking about the aardmore, because its an 8 watt version of the Gilmore JR which has a documented build in Phil's section of HC...

I have just about 0 experience with building, so I'm definitely gonna need a lot of time in front of google

what about torres engineering, I seem to have absorbed a favorable opinion of them from various forums...

• Members

i have zero experience with building myself. the things that i would look for however would be stuff like parts quality.. easy to follow instructions.. and technical support in case you run into trouble. i've been doing some reading on various kit manufacturers while i've been doing research and those areas seem to be the where the biggest problems seem to pop up.

i won't mention names either because i don't think it's fair to slam somebody when a) i don't have any experience with thier kit.. and b) they can't defend themselves or their product.

• Members

Sounds fair...

any good ac30 clones out there to be had? under 600 hopefully, and I'd love to find a head version... I'd love something I build to be useful, and I've been wanting to try one after hearing that the shape of punk to come was all ac30 cranked to earbleeding volumes

• Members

i'm sure there are some ac 30 clones out there. i'm actually thinking of starting out with a 5e3 champ or 5f2 princeton circuit myself. the reason i'm leaning in that direction is because they are simple AND sound good. that way i gain some experience in the multiple steps it takes to build and amp and i get to polish the skills i'd need to tackle larger projects.

after having put some thought into the process i've come to the conclusion that i'd learn more and not get in over my head if go that route rather than try to build a metro plexi clone.

the other thing i've learned is that ac voltage may forgive you.. dc will not.

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

How about some comments about them, I know one guy loved the jtm45 build he did from ceriatone.com, what do these companies do particularly well?

I want this thread to be worth something more than googling "amp kits" and such

Garfights seems to be an experienced builder, what is the extent of your experience with mojotone and weber kits?

i've done amps from both and the quality and circuit layout of the mojotone kits is quite a bit better than the weber.neither are really beginner amps as they don't come with step by step instructions and the mojotone is quite a bit more expensive with NO support (just ships with a schematic) .

my first build was a scratch 5e3 with a hoffman board but i had been doing repairs for quite a few years before that and went to college for electronics engineering. if i was just starting out i would look at weber's 5e3 kit or do an 18watt lite with the layout and info over at 18watt.com.they have lots of parts suppliers for the 18watt amps , tons of great info and nice,helpful people over there.i've built an 18watt tmb and it is great sounding, fairly loud useable amp that was pretty easy to build.weber's 18 watt kit is right about 400.00 and several people are building them and selling them for a profit.

as far as ac30 kits go noone is making one yet.weber keeps threatening to do one but the ac30 top boost is gonna be beyond the scope of anyone but an experienced builder

• Members

For a first build, either go AX84 P1 or get a champ kit, or a gilmore jr kit from guytronix. I would go as simple as possible, and realize that you're going to make mistakes.

Do *not* try to build anything that is very complex at all. Even simple sounding amps like an AC30 or a Fender Princeton Reverb kit will kick your ass as a first build. Avoid high gain too - many different pitfalls with that. I love it when guys want for their first build a 'fender clean on first channel, Tweed channel 2, JCM800 on 'roids 3, and Soldano 4. With parallel/series fx loop, and built in attenuator. Oh, and footswitchable EL34s/6L6s/KT88s!

And by all means educate yourself before you pick up a soldering iron - read everything you can get ahold of at AX84 regarding theory.

Can you just 'dive in' to a kit and build it? Sure. Would you rather spend a few hours before building that first kit learning and reading, or build the kit first and spend even more frustrating hours trying to debug hum, noise, or an amp that doesn't work? I'd rather spend a few hours reading, personally.

FYI, I've built the gilmore Jr. Kit which would be VERY good for the first timer, and it's design doesn't require a headshell. You'll find that most kits do not include the headshell or cabinet, you end up just with a chassis.

The Weber kits are nice and include all you need, but they do NOT include any instructions.

Pete

• Members

i'm still looking for some thick rubber floor mats and some other stuff right now. however i did find a capacitor tester for a dollar. not sure if it works or not.. but for a buck i thought i'd take a chance.

i'm not trying jump the thread here.. but as long as some of you experienced builders are here i thought i'd ask about bleeder resistors.

i'm thinking of building some and was wondering what you would recommend. 10K 2W or something larger?

Archived