checked out some great amps yesterday at Tone Merchants

mentoneman

• Members

Heritage-

plugged in using a tyler s/s/s gold classic w/maple neck

played a bunch of them, EL-84, 6V6, EL-34, low wattage combos, 50 watt heads, brittish and tweed styled and all of them sounded really spanky where you pluck the strings and they spit like a mad goose! reverbs are also great---to me they sounded tighter than fender verbs.

the 6V6 combo was like a deluxe but broke up so much sweeter, not sloppy, and you could control the amp much better than a typical deluxe.

the briton 2x12 was noel's (TM manager) favorite and indeed it sounded killer loaded w/ 2 celestion blues---landau's "burning water/yes man" dirt and bounce was what came to mind.

i've always been a fan of combos, but not of many i've played in recent memory---maybe %13, aiken tomcat, badcat hotcat...but these are great as well

the heads were nice and classic, but my ears and fingers are tuned to Peacemaker clarity and it's hard to like other heads

Snider california

used a suhr pro standard? s/s/h

really took me by surprise---started on clean tone...very sweet and has tons of tone range from smokey dark neck to compressed spank...not as chimey as heritage but pretty ala ford.

turn up some gain and it is really sustainy without distortion...and has a "sizzle" knob to dial in aggression and more horn like reedy-ness but i LOVE that it is subtle and that the taper on the tone controls actually feel intuitive and right.

for me it is better at this tone than fuchs sounds and feels better to my ears, although the fuchs gives more channels/options, but i still have a soft spot for two rock as the leader in the dumble ring.

it sounds way better than a bruno to me. clearer highs.

aloha

• Members
Originally posted by mentoneman

Heritage-

played a bunch of them, EL-84, 6V6, EL-34, low wattage combos, 50 watt heads, brittish and tweed styled and all of them sounded really spanky where you pluck the strings and they spit like a mad goose! reverbs are also great---to me they sounded tighter than fender verbs.

the 6V6 combo was like a deluxe but broke up so much sweeter, not sloppy, and you could control the amp much better than a typical deluxe.

the briton 2x12 was noel's (TM manager) favorite and indeed it sounded killer loaded w/ 2 celestion blues---landau's "burning water/yes man" dirt and bounce was what came to mind.

i've always been a fan of combos, but not of many i've played in recent memory---maybe %13, aiken tomcat, badcat hotcat...but these are great as well

the heads were nice and classic, but my ears and fingers are tuned to Peacemaker clarity and it's hard to like other heads

Snider california

really took me by surprise---started on clean tone...very sweet and has tons of tone range from smokey dark neck to compressed spank...not as chimey as heritage but pretty ala ford.

turn up some gain and it is really sustainy without distortion...and has a "sizzle" knob to dial in aggression and more horn like reedy-ness but i LOVE that it is subtle and that the taper on the tone controls actually feel intuitive and right.

for me it is better at this tone than fuchs sounds and feels better to my ears, although the fuchs gives more channels/options, but i still have a soft spot for two rock as the leader in the dumble ring.

aloha

Paul C., the designer of those amps is a friend of mine...lives in the same subdivision. He's a great designer...good ear, incredible guitarist plus he's got his own pedal line as well. I'm hoping he will release a High Gain model of the Heritage amps...if he does then I'm on board because he definetly has the ears for that stuff.

• Members
Originally posted by Robotechnology

In regards to that vid
:freak:

Have you been able to audition a Super-Sonic combo or head as of yet Pat?

nope, but i do have to say the last experience w/ the head was pretty decent, and i expect the combo with some quality speakers would be more to my liking....

but the combos i played at tone merchants were hugely cool, as well as a lot more pennies.

• Members
Originally posted by SteveVHT

There are no words in the English language that can describe how I feel right now after seeing that....

:cry:

the dancing was not of this earth...that someone actually thought this was a endeavor worth producing is far beyond my scope of understanding.

and the ending was painfully bad.

:wave::love:

• Members

Originally posted by jabps

Paul C., the designer of those amps is a friend of mine...lives in the same subdivision. He's a great designer...good ear, incredible guitarist plus he's got his own pedal line as well. I'm hoping he will release a High Gain model of the Heritage amps...if he does then I'm on board because he definetly has the ears for that stuff.

he comes up with some very nice tones in those amps of his---very spanky!

• Members
Originally posted by mentoneman

Heritage-

Snider california

aloha

Thanks for the review! It's not right though that you have great music stores to do that stuff in, but I don't here in Rochester, NY! :(

Archived