Diezel Herbert or Mesa Mk IV???

Ross82

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Electric Glide

LOL. I did forget to mention also that before I reeled in my second Herbert I had a VHT CLX for a year. It was an awesome amazing amp, and the clean was fantastic moreover the gain was very unique.

What got me interested in the OD 100 was some of these video clips below from Al Estrada. He achieves some to die for tone out of it. But he's also using the older discontinued EVM 12Ls which IMO (although originally PA speakers) absolutely rock for lead guitar liquid tone.

I had the OD100 for about 4 weeks before I realized my true calling was inevitable.

Give a listen and let me know what your thoughts are.

• Members

Originally posted by LavaMan

.......I have not played through a Herbert, but I have heard a guitarist named Marc Seal demo his and it sounded killer even through my laptop's speakers..

Here it is (the actual demo doesn't start untill the 7:00 mark):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6439601805213666365&q=marc+seal&pl=true

• Members

Originally posted by danyeo

Yes, i have seen those clip from Al Estrada, he rocks. But those amps just didn't sound that great when i played them at Steve's. Some of the metal grill Boogie cabs used EVM 12L 200 watt speakers, my cab has 2 of them.

Yeah, I couldn't get that liquid tone that Al was getting. Also, I wasn't playing through EVM 12Ls either.

I'm just happy with what I have and that's it.

Enjoy, Danyeo.

• Members

Originally posted by Chrisjd

is the mark IV really a heavier sounding head than the rectos? cant be?

I think so. You can even get a saturated tone at tv volume! To me, they have a completely differently sound and feel.

• Members

I'm a happy MKIV owner. I've had a bunch of Mesas. There is no mistaking the Mesa sound. True, they vary on flavor. But there is no mistaking a Mesa when you hear one. Regardless of the model. At least to my ears. The MKIV is probably one of the most tweakable of all the ones they make. There are a lot of amps out there that are better and interesting sounding. I'll be the first to admit. But, for what they are, the MKIV is pretty damn good amp. I'm on my third. And I've told my wife to bury me with mine when I die:)

• Members
Originally posted by mangley

MkIV head is "better" in the sense that a closed back cab sounds better that open back IMOP.

I can kind of understand this, I think, but is it a huge difference?

I mean, I have played through tons of combos and loved them, jsut never a Mk4 combo.

:o

• Members

Originally posted by tlp123

I'm a happy MKIV owner. I've had a bunch of Mesas. There is no mistaking the Mesa sound. True, they vary on flavor. But there is no mistaking a Mesa when you hear one. Regardless of the model. At least to my ears. The MKIV is probably one of the most tweakable of all the ones they make. There are a lot of amps out there that are better and interesting sounding. I'll be the first to admit. But, for what they are, the MKIV is pretty damn good amp. I'm on my third. And I've told my wife to bury me with mine when I die:)

My feelings exactly. I love the Mark IV, but I say that they are the best amp out there. I haven't had a chance to play Diezels, Bogners, Voodoo mods, etc.

I'm not banging on anyone that uses these amps, but I really like the tone and feel of the Mark IV.

Archived