Do I need a Diezel of Voodoo mod?

jayuubee16

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by jayuubee16

HUGE difference, my man. I definitely dig my Mark IV at ALL volumes. The lead channel is killah! My Dual is fillah.
:mad:

i misunderstood. i thought you were saying you wanted a new flavor because they sounded the same.

• Members
Originally posted by wsaracen

i misunderstood. i thought you were saying you wanted a new flavor because they sounded the same.

No, I love the Mark IV. I just want more gain from the Dual. It thought it sounded pretty good until I got the Mark IV. Right now, I'm using a Lee Jackson gain/boost pedal with the Dual.

On the Dual, palm mutes are muffled. If I turn up the treble/presence, it sounds buzzy. I've had the Dual for 3 years now and am still playing with the controls. I found my lead channel tone on the Mark IV the first day I had it! :thu:

• Members

I mean gain. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say my Dual gain is about a 6. I think it might be my particular amp. I've played other Duals that have a lot more gain at low volume. I know there has to be variance in the amount of gain from Dual to Dual.

Most Duals are all the same (and we mod tons of them). Perhaps you need different tubes, need the amp biased properly or something to that affect.

I don't use a lot of presence or treble. It is very full with a lot of gain and sustain. I'm not a stickler about a Marshall sound, etc. I just want more gain at a low volume. Could it be that the transformer is shot?

Although anything is possible I doubt you shorted a transformer unless it hooked up wrong, run under extreme attenuation, etc.

Trace

• Members

Originally posted by Voodoo Amps

I mean gain. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say my Dual gain is about a 6. I think it might be my particular amp. I've played other Duals that have a lot more gain at low volume. I know there has to be variance in the amount of gain from Dual to Dual.

Most Duals are all the same (and we mod tons of them). Perhaps you need different tubes, need the amp biased properly or something to that affect.

I don't use a lot of presence or treble. It is very full with a lot of gain and sustain. I'm not a stickler about a Marshall sound, etc. I just want more gain at a low volume. Could it be that the transformer is shot?

Although anything is possible I doubt you shorted a transformer unless it hooked up wrong, run under extreme attenuation, etc.

Trace

What tubes would you suggest? I have new JJs in the Dual now. I haven't used EL34s in it, but am willing to give it a try.

• Members

No, I love the Mark IV. I just want more gain from the Dual. It thought it sounded pretty good until I got the Mark IV. Right now, I'm using a Lee Jackson gain/boost pedal with the Dual.

On the Dual, palm mutes are muffled. If I turn up the treble/presence, it sounds buzzy. I've had the Dual for 3 years now and am still playing with the controls. I found my lead channel tone on the Mark IV the first day I had it!
:thu:

i felt the same way with the dual that i had (at low volumes). I used an AC booster as a clean boost (with the gain real low) and it was great. fixed it for me. i sold it to get a bad cat though. couldnt be happier.

• Members
Originally posted by wsaracen

i felt the same way with the dual that i had (at low volumes). I used an AC booster as a clean boost (with the gain real low) and it was great. fixed it for me. i sold it to get a bad cat though. couldnt be happier.

That's my only solution so far. Damn shame, too.:mad:

• Members

What tubes would you suggest? I have new JJs in the Dual now. I haven't used EL34s in it, but am willing to give it a try.

JJ's do not have much output so going with something like the Ruby 12AX7AC5's or the Groove 12AX7C premium would most likely be a step in the right direction.

Hope it helps

Trace

• Members

Originally posted by Voodoo Amps

JJ's do not have much output so going with something like the Ruby 12AX7AC5's or the Groove 12AX7C premium would most likely be a step in the right direction.

Hope it helps

Trace

I agree regarding the JJs. The Tung Sols rival the Shuguang for gain, but I think they sound a LOT better....than anything in current production, actually! :>) So, those might be worth a try too. I believe Doug at Doug's Tubes will sort 'em for high gain upon request.

• Members

I'm really leaning towards the mod. I want the sickest most bezerk gain I can get both cranked and at tv volume.

holy crap what a pansy. just get a {censored}ing pedal

• Members

Originally posted by maz_master

I agree regarding the JJs. The Tung Sols rival the Shuguang for gain, but I think they sound a LOT better....than anything in current production, actually! :>) So, those might be worth a try too. I believe Doug at Doug's Tubes will sort 'em for high gain upon request.

Thanks.

Archived