Seeking best & most efficient live synthesizer

gmdband

• Members

In an earlier post I asked for help in finding an extremely ergonomic (i.e. small, lightweight) workstation for live gigs that has FAST (i.e. one button push to a bank of 10-20 favorite sounds). Not too much selection here.

I still own a KorgTR61 that I rarely use because its hard to put your sounds in a User Bank for fast access during live performance.

Does anyone know how to put 10-20 favorite sounds in some kind of a User Bank on a TR61 for fast access? Can you do it using an external memory card?

• Members

I may not understand completely the reqeust for fast access to the patches. Are the sounds being chosen at random, or is it part of a ordered, live setlist?

If it's part of a setlist, where the sounds needed are known beforehand, I've used a VERY quick and painless option. I used a footswitch to increment patches.

I had to setup the sounds beforehand, as per the setlist and each song's requirements. It took some effort to mentally hash it all out initially - figuring out the needed patch keyzones, transpositions, splits and layers. All of the sounds were coming from one keyboard, which were accessed by playing the main keyboard, and a 61 note external keyboard and a smaller board (Korg Prophecy).

I would think this idea could be expanded by sending program changes to other keyboards with each keyboard having their own pre-determined sounds in the correct program slot.

It would take a some effort, but once it's setup, it's very easy to use. You won't have to worry about button pressing while playing (other than a footswitch!) and it's easy to verify that your on the right program since most synths these days have huge backlit LCD readouts.

• Members

In an earlier post I asked for help in finding an extremely ergonomic (i.e. small, lightweight) workstation for live gigs that has FAST (i.e. one button push to a bank of 10-20 favorite sounds). Not too much selection here.

I still own a KorgTR61 that I rarely use because its hard to put your sounds in a User Bank for fast access during live performance.

Does anyone know how to put 10-20 favorite sounds in some kind of a User Bank on a TR61 for fast access? Can you do it using an external memory card?

read the manual.

There are couple of that kind of functions in TR. One is where you press one button and it selects a sound, you get 10 different sounds (then press next for further 10,). Problem is it takes a second to load if you are in combi mode...

so you press 1 it selects 1...

you press 7 it selects 7.

You can only go to next set of 10 by scrolloing with the next button...

if the FX/progs are enough you can also use volume pedal trick to make 1 sound equal 2... there is also no delay this way.

• Members

Korg M50 has that feature (fast access to sounds) and since you're already familiar with Korg's interface you might really dig it - very lightweight, esp. the 61 key version (under 20 lbs.)... try it, if you don't mind the keybed (the action of the keys) - I'm not crazy about it, as I posted earlier in this thread - then the M50 it should be exactly what you're looking for. :thu:

Archived