Has anyone here read The Da Vinci Code?

riffy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by nvcreations

well written book, just a shame at how many lemmings take it as the truth.

now this weekend, my church will be running a series on "breaking the da vinci code", they even took out adds in the movie theatres

Same at my church except I dont think they took out adds in the theatre. They did give us a book that goes over the elements in the movie like the secret societies, etc. I haven't read it yet...

• Members

Originally posted by madubuisson

I've read them all, and Deception Point was by far the best of his books.

Digital Fortress was kind of boring.

you sure you arent confusing the 2 titles? i was just the opposite.

-Erik

• Members
Originally posted by riffy

Believe me, a movie will NEVER replace a literary work!

I was going to read the rest of the thread, but I think I'll just stop to agree with this statement.:)

I like the Da Vinci Code. Good book. A little fast for my taste. I think that's the reason why it's so edible, it's not slower and filled with a lot of extra bits of goodness.

Dan Brown gets props. Not too many though. I'm tired of seeing all 50+ of his books taking up room in book stores.:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by tweed

Same at my church except I dont think they took out adds in the theatre. They did give us a book that goes over the elements in the movie like the secret societies, etc. I haven't read it yet...

Well its Bayside in Granite Bay... no stops being pulled lol.

• Members

Originally posted by shreder75

I find comparisons between someone like dan brown, a writer of contemporary fiction and people like shakespear and other 'literary greats' to be quite laughable =)

I'm a confirmed bibliophile...I read constantly..CONSTANTLY....my authors are all over the board....Robin Cook to Preston & Child, to Steve Alten, to Stuart Woods to Matt Reilly, to Ken Follet (pillars of the earth..best took evar!), james rollins..etc, etc

two things I've realized in all my readings

a) shakespear was probably great if you still spoke in century's old english..now it's indecipherable

b) past literary masterpieces (catcher in the rye, great gatsby, of mice and men) are by and large, quite boring

in other words, CORK SNIFFING MATERIAL!

lol

Wow, I couldn't have put it any better. Now, could Brown be a better stylist? Absolutely, but great stylists don't always tell a good story. Just read Updike or Irving, great stylists, but inconsistent writers. It is funny how a writer has to be pretentiously self-aware like Palahniuk and his ilk to be considered a good writer. Shakespeare wasn't widely acclaimed in his time either, it all has to do with perspective.

I do like a lot of what are called "classics," but they remind me too much of work. The primarily serve to provide a common ground or a baseline for "educated" people.

I don't care what people read, as long as they do it, because even with the most senseless drivel, they are having to use their minds, which unfortunately in the world today doesn't happen enough.

Oh yeah, The Pillars of the Earth is a GREAT book. Now, I am off to read the new Sandford, which is not a Prey book (which is a good thing - Lucas Davenport has reached the end of his useful life as a character).

• Members

Originally posted by evilhomer101

I don't care what people read, as long as they do it, because even with the most senseless drivel, they are having to use their minds, which unfortunately in the world today doesn't happen enough.

great quote... couldnt agree more.

-Erik

• Members

Originally posted by Funk#49

What kind of pretentious bull{censored} is this?

"The writing was pedestrian at best?"

"characters and plot barely two dimensional?"

That's not pretense; it's accuracy.

Gee, I wonder how many millions of copies were sold with this "predestrian writing" style.

How many 'burgers' has McDonald's sold over the years? How many records did boy bands sell? Commercial success is no measure of quality, and in most cases, it is INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL to it.

Dan Brown writes like a 7th grader, and seems to have the attention span of one (not to mention that he assumes that his readers do too).

And to whoever stated they will never see Tom Hanks as anything but a situation comedy actor? WTF? Obviously you haven't seen many movies, that's a ridiculous statement.

Tom Hanks as an 'actor' is a complete joke. He was great in Splash, The Money Pit, Dragnet, etc., but when he tries a serious role, he's as pathetically unconvincing as Keanu Reeves or Helen Hunt. Now, having the Langdon role in the Da Vinci Code movie was probably undertaken as a 'serious' role, but will most certainly end up being pure comedy...except that we won't be laughing with him...we'll be laughing at him.

• Members

Wow, I couldn't have put it any better. Now, could Brown be a better stylist? Absolutely, but great stylists don't always tell a good story. Just read Updike or Irving, great stylists, but inconsistent writers. It is funny how a writer has to be pretentiously self-aware like Palahniuk and his ilk to be considered a good writer. Shakespeare wasn't widely acclaimed in his time either, it all has to do with perspective.

I do like a lot of what are called "classics," but they remind me too much of work. The primarily serve to provide a common ground or a baseline for "educated" people.

Oh yeah, The Pillars of the Earth is a GREAT book. Now, I am off to read the new Sandford, which is not a Prey book (which is a good thing - Lucas Davenport has reached the end of his useful life as a character).

I don't consider someone like brown to be a 'stupid read' or a book for the 'uneducated' (not saying you are..just getting another thought out there I'd forgotten to earlier..lol)...

it's just different and people keep comparing newer type authors to those contemporary 'classics'..is it war and peace? no....is it crime and punishment? no....it's a work of modern day fiction...

i've gotten into many many books...but nothing had me so sucked in like pillars of the earth...folletts best book by far and one of the best books I ever read..definetly my single most favorite..

you know, he's writing a sequel? I'm a little worried about that one..lol

never read sanford..right now I'm on a robin cook tear....great writer.....makes you think about things...and I dig that...

• Members

I am a big fan of John Updike. I abosoulutely POURED through his Rabbit series... Simply a fabulous writer.

Dan Brown tells a good story, that moves enough to keep the reader interested. His plot lines are interesting enough for summer reads. I started to read Deception Point last night in
PDF form. I found it on the internet needless to say:D It is good
so far.

As far as classic writers go, style in writing is very important to me. I really dig the Shake. Yes, the language is flowery but that
was his style and was perfect for the time period he wrote in. It makes it a bit more difficult for us now to decipher exactly what he meant but, there are so many layers to his writing you can't claim that he isn't one of the best writers period. He may not be your style, but, he really makes you think to get his works. That is what reading is about IMHO. You should THINK, it helps develop your mind. A great thing. Sure beats TV.

Gary

• Members

The ending to Angels and Demons is definitely way more satisfying even though I kept thinking the book was going to end like 5 different times before it actually did. Still a really good book, and yes I do like it better than the Da Vinci Code.

• Members

Originally posted by shreder75

I don't consider someone like brown to be a 'stupid read' or a book for the 'uneducated' (not saying you are..just getting another thought out there I'd forgotten to earlier..lol)...

it's just different and people keep comparing newer type authors to those contemporary 'classics'..is it war and peace? no....is it crime and punishment? no....it's a work of modern day fiction...

i've gotten into many many books...but nothing had me so sucked in like pillars of the earth...folletts best book by far and one of the best books I ever read..definetly my single most favorite..

you know, he's writing a sequel? I'm a little worried about that one..lol

never read sanford..right now I'm on a robin cook tear....great writer.....makes you think about things...and I dig that...

I like Follett, I thought Code to Zero was good, but Pillars is his masterpiece. I love in the new editions of the book he talks about how he wrote it with no thought of commercial success (unlike his other books, which he writes with the audience in mind), and he was shocked at the reaction to the book. A sequel?? Hmm.

If you read any of Sandford's stuff, go with the early Prey books, Rules of Prey was the first one and it was pretty good.

It is funny how people forget that Brown wasn't trying to change the world, make a statement, or anything other than entertain people. Now he can have Burns-like money fights when he feels sad that people say mean things about him.

• Members

I like Follett, I thought Code to Zero was good, but Pillars is his masterpiece. I love in the new editions of the book he talks about how he wrote it with no thought of commercial success (unlike his other books, which he writes with the audience in mind), and he was shocked at the reaction to the book. A sequel?? Hmm.

If you read any of Sandford's stuff, go with the early Prey books, Rules of Prey was the first one and it was pretty good.

It is funny how people forget that Brown wasn't trying to change the world, make a statement, or anything other than entertain people. Now he can have Burns-like money fights when he feels sad that people say mean things about him.

ahhh....code to zero....love the way that book starts! you're as confused as the lead character! third twin was good...

I really dug a place called freedom...and dangerous fortune was awesome!

I remember him sayin' it not only took him three years to write pillars but he had a tough time gettin' it published..that's his most asked about book till this day...

yeah, a sequel....we shall see =D I really didn't like his latest book at all, whiteout...blech...

oh, hornets flight and night over water...two other awesome books..

hahaha....it's also funny at how mad the catholic church is about that book...they've had meetings about it at myold church! my mom was like 'you didn't read that book did you?'....lol...i'm like yep! and it ruled!!! ;)

Archived