GMW guitar necks width question.

bobbtoz

• Members

I currently own a GMW and I love the neck. My current GMW is a 1-11/16" at the nut. Feels great to me. I have an axis w/ a 1-5/8" wich I like too, but prefer the GMW.

I've never tried a guitar w/ 1-3/4" nut width. Any of you GMW owners have one with this width? And if so how would you compare the playability w/ a 1-11/16" GMW.

I guess this question would be for those lucky enough to have owned several GMW's.

Thanks Bob T.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by bobbtoz

I currently own a GMW and I love the neck. My current GMW is a 1-11/16" at the nut. Feels great to me. I have an axis w/ a 1-5/8" wich I like too, but prefer the GMW.

I've never tried a guitar w/ 1-3/4" nut width. Any of you GMW owners have one with this width? And if so how would you compare the playability w/ a 1-11/16" GMW.

I guess this question would be for those lucky enough to have owned several GMW's.

Thanks Bob T.

Having owned all three - the 1 3/4's feels huge and every bit as wide as a basic classical guitar neck....may be why you see so many 1 3/4 GMW guitars turning up for sale....1 11/16 is my personal fave - although my old flame top that daver102 owns with the 1 5/8's is a killer....YMMV

Steve E

• Members

I have a 1 3/4 GMW and 1 5/8 GMW. I like the 1 and 3/4 better. The neck profiles on my GMW's are pretty much the same, just different at the nut.

Most of the necks (Non GMW) I order myself are fatter profiles along with the 1 3/4 nut with. Nut size isnt that big of a difference but profiles are...I like fat-ass baseball bat necks

• Members

Man I would like to pick up another GMW, but the one I'm interested in has the larger neck (1-3/4"). I would hate to throw done the coin only to not be happy with it.

My fingers are'nt that big so 1-11/16" is perfect for me, but the GMW I'm looking at is sweet.

• Members

I don't have meat hooks for hands or fat fingers. I like the fat V and C shapes. I had an old classical guitar that was like that, an old strat with the fat D profile. I normally keep my thumb in the middle of the neck for wide stretching and fast runs, its just more comfortable to me.

I have necks of all sizes and shapes and nut sizes and i dont have a problem playing ast on any them...

• Members

I have owned all three neck sizes. I initially preferred the 1 3/4, because my Lynch Kamikaze was that width. I found my hands getting too tired and crampy after I started playing the 1 11/16 and tried to go back to the 1 3/4. Now, I prefer the 1 5/8.

It is all a matter of personal preference, obviously. If you are happy with what you have, why change it. Then again, some guys can play all three sizes and not have any problems.

My two cents.

-Mark

• Members

Also, I have found the shape or carve of the neck to be more of an issue. The GMWs have, in my opinion, a D shape, with a flat back and more meat on the outer edges of the neck (the shoulders). I have found that some nut widths feel better with the D shape than they do with a C shape, and vice versa.

-Mark

• Members

Originally posted by Markus RN

I have owned all three neck sizes. I initially preferred the 1 3/4, because my Lynch Kamikaze was that width. I found my hands getting too tired and crampy after I started playing the 1 11/16 and tried to go back to the 1 3/4. Now, I prefer the 1 5/8.

It is all a matter of personal preference, obviously. If you are happy with what you have, why change it. Then again, some guys can play all three sizes and not have any problems.

My two cents.

-Mark

Hey Marcus,

I never tried a neck w/ 1-3/4". Thiers a GMW that I'm looking at w/ that neck width. I have no problem going between a 1-5/8 and 1-11/16. Over all I prefer the 1-11/16, but I may be comparing apples to oranges because the 1-11/16 is a GMW and the 1-5/8 is a axis.

My major concern is purchasing a GMW 1-3/4 and discovering its uncomfortable for my to play (I have a slight case of tendonitis in my thumb area, nothing major). On the other hand I would hate to pass up a GMW that I'm interested in. Should I gamble or wait until one w/ a 1-11/16 neck comes around?

Congrats on selling your GMW. It had me looking big time. Just when I think your fresh out of GMW's you pull another out of the vault. :thu:

How about some pics of the remaining GMW's...

• Members

Hey Marcus,

I never tried a neck w/ 1-3/4". Thiers a GMW that I'm looking at w/ that neck width. I have no problem going between a 1-5/8 and 1-11/16. Over all I prefer the 1-11/16, but I may be comparing apples to oranges because the 1-11/16 is a GMW and the 1-5/8 is a axis.

My major concern is purchasing a GMW 1-3/4 and discovering its uncomfortable for my to play (I have a slight case of tendonitis in my thumb area, nothing major). On the other hand I would hate to pass up a GMW that I'm interested in. Should I gamble or wait until one w/ a 1-11/16 neck comes around?

Congrats on selling your GMW. It had me looking big time. Just when I think your fresh out of GMW's you pull another out of the vault.
:thu:

How about some pics of the remaining GMW's...

My old Kramer had an 1 3/4" neck - the profile is not that much different then a GMW. I used it for years and years. When I got a GMW with a 1 11/16" though, I also found I couldn't go back and forth between them without my hands cramping up. Now I have 1 11/16" exclusively.

Bob if you're looking for a GMW I may have one for sale.

• Members

Originally posted by Rufus Leaking

My old Kramer had an 1 3/4" neck - the profile is not that much different then a GMW. I used it for years and years. When I got a GMW with a 1 11/16" though, I also found I couldn't go back and forth between them without my hands cramping up. Now I have 1 11/16" exclusively.

Bob if you're looking for a GMW I may have one for sale.

Can you send me a pic w/ the specs of it?

rthompson5@nycap.rr.com

Thanks Bob T.

• Members

bobbtoz, if you have a 1 11/16 GMW I really doubt you have an issue going to 1 3/4 GMW. All of the GMW's I've played have same type of profile/neck shape to them.

Mark has owned some of the cooler GMW's around.

Here's my 2

1 3/4 neck

pgmwfull1.JPG

1 5/8 neck

flamefull2ss.JPG

• Members

Originally posted by ProjectX

I really like the 1 3/4" neck.Both of my Charvel parts guitars that I built have this size.

Guitars.jpg

That bottom one smokes!

1 3/4" is too wide. No thumb playing! 1 11/16" is standard modern Fender size.

I like 1 5/8. Weird thing is 1 5/8 = 1.625. But 1.65 is just ultra perfect. You wouldn't think that a few hundreths of an inch would make a difference but there is a difference in feel. It gives that little extra room on the edges but keeps the feel of the vintageness.

• Members

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz

bobbtoz, if you have a 1 11/16 GMW I really doubt you have an issue going to 1 3/4 GMW. All of the GMW's I've played have same type of profile/neck shape to them.

Mark has owned some of the cooler GMW's around.

Here's my 2

1 3/4 neck

pgmwfull1.JPG

1 5/8 neck

flamefull2ss.JPG

Both of those look great. I really like the bottom one. Something like that w/ just a bridge pickup and I'd be golden.

The GMW I'm looking at has pretty much everything I want right down to the pickup, but the neck is the dilema.

I got to see what Rufus has before I make a move.

• Members
Originally posted by buddastrat

That bottom one smokes!

1 3/4" is too wide. No thumb playing! 1 11/16" is standard modern Fender size.

I like 1 5/8. Weird thing is 1 5/8 = 1.625. But 1.65 is just ultra perfect. You wouldn't think that a few hundreths of an inch would make a difference but there is a difference in feel. It gives that little extra room on the edges but keeps the feel of the vintageness.

Thanks man! I just recently finished that one and is my main player right now.I added the D-Tuna on it as well the other day.As far as for thumb playing ,I have no problem with it.Hell 1 3/4" is only 1/16" more than your standard modern Fender.

• Members

Nice quilt on the top one!!!!

Thanks dude,here is a better pic:

Charvel.jpg

By the way,this one is 2 1/4" at the neck joint instead of the standard Fender 2 3/16".Wide on both ends and I love it.

• Members

Originally posted by ProjectX

Thanks dude,here is a better pic:

Charvel.jpg

By the way,this one is 2 1/4" at the neck joint instead of the standard Fender 2 3/16".Wide on both ends and I love it.

That is a great looking guitar!

Heres a pic of my current GMW:

• Members

That is a great looking guitar!

Heres a pic of my current GMW:

That is sweet! I think I'm going to build either a single or dual humbucker version soon.Gotta make up my mind.Gonna go with a hardtail brass bridge too.

Archived