Evolution of a first time Marshall buyer.

jcourtjr

• Members

You hear your guitar hero uses marshall amps (jimmy page or someone like that).

You have money.

You look and find the TSL "the flagship" (well it used to be) of their line. 3 channels and all that {censored}. (you say {censored} that JCM 800 or the handwired crap).

You get it and it sucks. You hear about the DSL and go get that. More "organic". you are digging the tones.

Suddenly someone says JCM 2000s are like computers inside, you got to get JCM 800. The last good marshall. You get that and now you hear that master volumes suck and you need a non-master volume amp.

You sell JCM 800 and get an old 4 input non-master volume.

End of story.

• Members

Originally posted by Tonemeister69

+1. I've never heard someone whith bad tone using a DSL:confused:

Because they're great amps! I had a TSL100 for a while. All it needed was the right speakers, better preamp tubes and a good guitar. It sounded awesome. People don't invest time into those amps. They walk up to it and immediately expect something.. I don't know what... to be honest. Crap, even my Super Lead required almost a year of tweaking to get it the way I like it.

• Members

Originally posted by jcourtjr

... You hear about the DSL and go get that. ...

Suddenly someone says JCM 2000s are like computers inside, ... and now you hear that master volumes suck ...

Or what about, you stop caring about what people say/think? :)

• Members

Hey dudes -

When I seriously got into guitar bout 3 years an runnin now I bought a FlextoneIII XL because I didn't know what I wanted in an amp. That amp actually help me decide on what amp to get which was a JTM45 - then I graduated to a SLP

That Flextone hid my abilitys and disabilities so much - it wasn't funny. The gainer models did an awesome job at hiding all my mistakes ;) The Marshalls are extra keen to point em out

I'm still dialing these suckers in.Some days the amps sound harsh to me but after I warm up for 30 minutes or so - byebye harshness and i'm not fighting the amp anymore and just playing better.. makin any sense ??

Later

• Members

Originally posted by LP Heaven

Hey dudes -

When I seriously got into guitar bout 3 years an runnin now I bought a FlextoneIII XL because I didn't know what I wanted in an amp. That amp actually help me decide on what amp to get which was a JTM45 - then I graduated to a SLP

That Flextone hid my abilitys and disabilities so much - it wasn't funny. The gainer models did an awesome job at hiding all my mistakes
;)
The Marshalls are extra keen to point em out

I'm still dialing these suckers in.Some days the amps sound harsh to me but after I warm up for 30 minutes or so - byebye harshness and i'm not fighting the amp anymore and just playing better.. makin any sense ??

Later

Yup... Makes perfect sense... ;) I could do things on my old POD that I couldn't pull off on a real amp.

• Members

Originally posted by Speed_Racer71

or you could have done like i did and your first marshall was a jcm900 ..and i havent bought another since
:D

Heh, I was close. My first was a 800. Then I bought the 900.

I don't have the 800 anymore. :wave:

(Not that the 800 was bad, it wasn't)

• Members

You have money.

You look and find the TSL "the flagship" (well it used to be) of their line. 3 channels and all that {censored}. (you say {censored} that JCM 800 or the handwired crap).

You get it and it sucks. You hear about the DSL and go get that. More "organic". you are digging the tones.

Suddenly someone says JCM 2000s are like computers inside, you got to get JCM 800. The last good marshall. You get that and now you hear that master volumes suck and you need a non-master volume amp.

End of story.

Not me.

I got my 1967 Plexi first, then the 71 SL next 74 SL....then came the JCM800.

• Members

i like my TSL100 better than my 2203 because i don't need to use a stomp box and even though the 2203 is more "organic sounding" the TSL sustains for days and has a snarl that the DSL & 2203 lack and that makes the TSL the ultimate trademark marshall ROAR. end of story.

• Members

You have money.

End of story.

Trut so pur

I did exactly the same thing.

I have a handwired 50 watter and couldn't be happier.:):cool: :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Pigsinzen

Heh, I was close. My first was a 800. Then I bought the 900.

I don't have the 800 anymore.
:wave:

(Not that the 800 was bad, it wasn't)

i meant mine in a sarcastic way..i didnt like the JCM900 and havent wanted to buy another Marshall since that one..

thats prb how i should have worded it

• Members

The 900 just keeps coming back to me, it's really weird actually. My first band's guitarist left all his {censored} there when he quit, didn't pick it up for about a year (don't ask). He had a 900 4100. It was okay, but I didn't know anything about amps back then so I just dimed everything. Then I picked up a MKIII combo version, 50 watt version I think. It was cool but didn't have enough gain for me, gone. I just picked the head version and I couldn't be happier. The thing's a beast and I find it's the coolest looking marshall, I like seeing the 900.

• Members

my first Marshall was actually the old 80's 15 watt Microstack in the mid 80's. Then I got a JCM 800 4104 2x12 combo in the late 80's that I used for a good 10 years. I used a rack system for a few years but quickly bought a DSL 100 which Is great but I sold it, because I ended up getting a 1982 2203. I'm also having a Superlead clone built as we speak.

so your thoery is somewhat accurate. Those DSL are great amps thoughs IMO. I used it for many years and have no regrets.

Archived