Opinions on next amp?

Devinstation

• Members

Ok so here is a list of possible new amps I am getting and wondered what you amp fellas think I would like the best.

First the sound I want:

-Really crisp cleans with a jangle, I will most likely be playing a Rickenbacker 650D through it.

-Crunchy Drive that sounds, open I dont know how to describe it but good for punk.

-I play Ska, Punk, Good ol' Rock and Roll, SOME Blues and Jazzy stuff.

-Must be willing to play well with pedals!

Ok so here are the choices:

1.) Marshal JCM900 4102

2.) Fender Twin Reverb OR Fender Twin Reverb II

3.) Fender Twin Amp

4.) Mesa Boogie Nomad 45

Those aren't in any particular order, so what do you guys think?

• Members

Have you thought about adding an AC30 based amp in there? Those make a great combinations with the Ric's. Otherwise I would look at the Mesa, though that wouldnt be my first choice, I'd sooner take a DC or a F series, maybe a Mark I RI. Otherwise strictly from that list, probably one of the twins.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

Have you thought about adding an AC30 based amp in there? Those make a great combinations with the Ric's. Otherwise I would look at the Mesa, though that wouldnt be my first choice, I'd sooner take a DC or a F series, maybe a Mark I RI. Otherwise strictly from that list, probably one of the twins.

Hmmm good point on the AC30. I would like one but they are out of my price range, and I don't use eBay, so most used gear is local and thats what these are. Also another option that I forgot to mention is a Vox AD120VT, it is not a fully tube amp but from what I played of it it sounded pretty good.

• Members

Originally posted by Devinstation

Hmmm good point on the AC30. I would like one but they are out of my price range, and I don't use eBay, so most used gear is local and thats what these are. Also another option that I forgot to mention is a Vox AD120VT, it is not a fully tube amp but from what I played of it it sounded pretty good.

Check out the Hayseed head, its pretty much what you want, and at $1000 for the head, I think its worth saving for (if you arent there yet).

http://www.valvetechamps.com/theamp.htm

• Members

Check out the Hayseed head, its pretty much what you want, and at $1000 for the head, I think its worth saving for (if you arent there yet).

Hmm well it would be more likely for me to get the 2x12 combo (I am looking for a combo) and after I sell off all the stuff I am selling I COULD afford it but then I couldn't afford the Ric I wanted ... well maybe if I moved some funds around ....

• Members

Hmm well it would be more likely for me to get the 2x12 combo (I am looking for a combo) and after I sell off all the stuff I am selling I COULD afford it but then I couldn't afford the Ric I wanted ... well maybe if I moved some funds around ....

I dont know what other gear you are using, but a good amp like this is great to build your specific rig around, you can save and get the guitar later if needed. Its worth being patient and getting a killer setup going though, that would be my choice if I was in your spot.:thu:

• Members

Though Musicians Friend has a Refurbished Vox AC30CC2 for about $800 which IS in my price range, may look into that instead.

They come with {censored}ty speakers, and take note, quite a few of the earlier AC30 CC had some issues, this may be why it was returned and refurbished. I've heard they no longer have some of those reliability issues, but just be carefull, you can never be too sure with MF.

• Members

Well for all I know that refurbished amp may be good after all. I'm just relaying my experience, when the AC30CC's came out I was excited because I could finaly afford one, then when talking to various dealers I heard of the reliability issues they were having, and it really dissapointed me and put me off. To my understanding, much of those problems do not exist anymore as people seem to be content with theirs.

• Members

Well for all I know that refurbished amp may be good after all. I'm just relaying my experience, when the AC30CC's came out I was excited because I could finaly afford one, then when talking to various dealers I heard of the reliability issues they were having, and it really dissapointed me and put me off. To my understanding, much of those problems do not exist anymore as people seem to be content with theirs.

Thanks for the incredible amount of help Alchemist and everyone else thank you as well. Its looking like it may be the Vox AC30CC for me, if that doesn't work out (if it does have issues) I can still send it back to MF within 45 days and try another one.

Archived