About to pull the trigger on some stuff...let's review!

• Members

Okay, getting the Yamaha S90xs. Yes, the big 58" long monstrosity.

Currently, I have no (as in zero) studio or keyboard related equipment, so I'm starting from scratch.

I was thinking of getting a Quik-Lok Z-726 Keyboard Stand to put it on. It has room for an upper tier in case at some point down the road I want to add another board. Any thoughts on this? It's only 34" wide, but it looks stable. Should I go with a different stand? I want something rock-steady and not flimsy...especially since this monster is going to be sitting on it. :D

For output, don't want to go hog-wild but I do want something that's at least good. So I was thinking of the Alesis M1 Active 520. Any thoughts on this? While I'd like to get some ADAM A7, they're just way too out of my price range. I AM also getting some Sennheiser HD280 headphones.

What about monitor stands? Again, need something stable. I have nothing else to put the monitors on. Well, I guess I could get some milk-crates :D

Thanks...

• Members

The QuikLok stands are really nice. I have two of the shorter versions of the Z-726 (the Z-716) and have a Roland RD700GX and Waldorf Q Phoenix on one as well as two KRK VXT6 monitors on the Quiklok add-on monitor shelves. One person has reported that one of their monitor shelves broke but I have had no problems and most people seem to like them. My XS6 is on the other stand with a computer monitor on an add-on stand mounted on an accessory bar, and the add-on computer keyboard tray underneath. If you want casters you will have to order a caster kit separately (about $20 if I recall). I got really lucky on the KRK monitors during a 1/2 off sale.

A good source for Quiklok stuff is Kraft Music.

• Members

I was thinking of getting a
Quik-Lok Z-726 Keyboard Stand
to put it on. It has room for an upper tier in case at some point down the road I want to add another board. Any thoughts on this? It's only 34" wide, but it looks stable. Should I go with a different stand? I want something rock-steady and not flimsy...especially since this monster is going to be sitting on it.
:D

If you're at all worried about the width - consider going with the "L" version of the Z726 ( http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=99&sName=Z-726L ) It adds 10 inches to the width - which will be fine for your S90ZS. The unit is mucho stable - and has leg room to burn. The beautiful part is that even with the extra width in the base - the design of the upper supports will allow you to support a very short keyboard - simply by adjusting where on the crossbar you place the uprights. Heck, with the right combination of keyboards - you can probably add a third tier - simply by adding a 2nd pair of uprights and "nesting" them.

• Members

If you're at all worried about the width - consider going with the "L" version of the Z726 (
) It adds 10 inches to the width - which will be fine for your S90ZS. The unit is mucho stable - and has leg room to burn. The beautiful part is that even with the extra width in the base - the design of the upper supports will allow you to support a very short keyboard - simply by adjusting where on the crossbar you place the uprights. Heck, with the right combination of keyboards - you can probably add a third tier - simply by adding a 2nd pair of uprights and "nesting" them.

If you don't need the extra tier right away you can get the z716 but I think you can save money on the accessory bar and second tier pieces by getting the Z726.

• Members

If you're at all worried about the width - consider going with the "L" version of the Z726

I have both of these, actually. My Polaris and XTk are on the regular-sized 726 and my SV-1 and V-Synth GT are on the longer Z726L. They're very sturdy and they don't wiggle much, even when I'm pounding on 'em. I think I can atribute most of the wiggle to the carpet and padding the stands are on top of.

They're sturdy, for sure. The braces that hold the second-tier brackets to the crossbar are a real tight fit, though, and need just a little coercion to clamp down snuggly. Also, beware: The Quiklok factory packaging is PISS POOR. I bought from 2 different suppliers and both pieces came in flimsy boxes and were rattling loose and getting banged-up. If you order any, make sure you inspect them carefully!

Otherwise, it's good stuff.

• Members

Is it just me or does this thing look like an evil robot spider from Mars ?

It does! Regardless, it doesn't look sturdy enough for a large and heavy 88 note board. Those arms can't spread wide enough to keep a long keyboard from bouncing when you play the extreme upper or lower ends of the board.

Archived