Mesa Boogie Mark Iic+ Vs Iv

adam02

• Members

Originally posted by adam02

I have no clue what to get, but i want Mesa Boogie Tone that the Marks seem to offer. For leads etc.

The IV's a great amp, but it's not a IIC+.

If you want the IIC+ tone exactly, than get a IIC+. If you can't afford a IIC+, get a III.

If you want the IIC+ sound that bad, the IV won't do it for you.

• Members

Originally posted by Shiny_Surface

The IV's a great amp, but it's not a IIC+.

If you want the IIC+ tone exactly, than get a IIC+. If you can't afford a IIC+, get a III.

If you want the IIC+ sound that bad, the IV won't do it for you.

Yup.

All Mark series amps have similar tone, but there are definite differences.

FWIW, I can get a Mark III to "sound" pretty damn close to a Mark IIC+, btu it doesn't feel the same.

I have owned a few Mark III's the same Mark IIC+ twice and several Mark IV's.... all are GREAT amps

:thu: :thu:

• Members

Il see if i can snag one, Some IIC+'s dont have the onboard EQ whats up with that.

Is that any disadvantage. will a pedal EQ fix that?

Get the graphic EQ. The built in graphic EQ will sound different than a pedal EQ IMO.

There's a reason the non-graphic EQ models sell less on the bay.....

• Members

Il see if i can snag one, Some IIC+'s dont have the onboard EQ whats up with that.

Is that any disadvantage. will a pedal EQ fix that?

My opinion is that you NEED the onboard EQ if you want to do high gain stuff. I have run quality EQ pedals in the loop and it isn't the same. BUT... I have heard there are some EQ's out there with the same frequencies. Don't kno wwhat those would be though.

xiwix has a IIC+ combo he may be selling BTW;)

• Members

decent amp?

Is it as good as the one with the onboard EQ?

can a stompbox EQ do the Onboard EQ's job?

An outboard EQ can somewhat achieve similar results, but personally, I would never buy a Mark series without the EQ built-in. It's perfectly matched already to the amp and switchable. IMO, it's a must have.

• Members

Anymore help?

Should i get a new IV or look for a used IIC+

I'm selling a Mark IIC+. :thu: If you can find a Mark IIC go for it! They have a more aggressive tone than the CII+.

Take Care

• Members

Originally posted by mctallica1

My opinion is that you NEED the onboard EQ if you want to do high gain stuff. I have run quality EQ pedals in the loop and it isn't the same. BUT... I have heard there are some EQ's out there with the same frequencies. Don't kno wwhat those would be though.

xiwix has a IIC+ combo he may be selling BTW;)

Yup! and Yup! :thu: Thanks Tony. :D

I would NEVER get a Mark with out the EQ. The EQ play such a big part of the tone its not even funny. And an extrn EQ will NOT do the job.

Take Care

• Members

Originally posted by hal9000

An outboard EQ can somewhat achieve similar results, but personally, I would never buy a Mark series without the EQ built-in. It's perfectly matched already to the amp and switchable. IMO, it's a must have.

I have to really disagree. I've tried "outboard" EQ's with Mark IV's, Mark III's, and Mark IIC's and C+'s. Not the same at all. The key is the 750 slider, that thing almost morphs the gain.

Take Care

• Members

Originally posted by xiwiwix

I'm selling a Mark IIC+.
:thu:
If you can find a Mark IIC go for it! They have a more aggressive tone than the CII+.

Take Care

IIC's are harder to find then a IIC+.

They are definitely raw sounding compare to the IIC+ and I happen to love them. I told one guy on another forum not to mod his IIc to a IIc+ being that he already loved the tone comming from his IIC. Well, He went and had it modded and now hates it. Im not sure if he ever sent it back :D

• Members

Originally posted by mctallica1

HAve you played a regular IIC? I haven't.
:(

Yup, I've had two, I got one for $800 and another for $900/$1000 (not to sure). :D Well technically I bought the second for a guy I know and held on to it until he paid me.

Take Care

• Members

Originally posted by gainfreak

IIC's are harder to find then a IIC+.

They are definitely raw sounding compare to the IIC+ and I happen to love them. I told one guy on another forum not to mod his IIc to a IIc+ being that he already loved the tone comming from his IIC. Well, He went and had it modded and now hates it. Im not sure if he ever sent it back
:D

+1

It just because of Metallica many a IIC's have died a horrible death. :D

Take Care

• Members
Originally posted by xiwiwix

I have to really disagree. I've tried "outboard" EQ's with Mark IV's, Mark III's, and Mark IIC's and C+'s. Not the same at all. The key is the 750 slider, that thing almost morphs the gain.

Take Care

Notice my use of "Somewhat achieve" there. Yeah, you can scoop the Mark series' with a rack EQ, but it's not going to sound the same. I agree with you, we're just using different words. :)

• Members

Originally posted by hal9000

Notice my use of "Somewhat achieve" there. Yeah, you can scoop the Mark series' with a rack EQ, but it's not going to sound the same. I agree with you, we're just using different words.
:)

Its the forum, it will drive a man crazy. ;)

Take Care

• Members

Originally posted by Zachman

When you think about it, a Ferrrari; No matter what model, is still a very special breed and more than just another car, it's also a work of art. Same with these Boogies, they are truly things of beauty and soulful musicality.
:thu:
The difference between the Boogie's MK series and Ferrari is that Boogies are work horses and don't have the reliability issues of a Ferrari, but they BOTH have a LOT of DRIVE.

Absolutely.:D

Archived