Kurzweil PC3K prototype was at the Superbowl.

• Members

The keyboard player was playing one with those old guys that were playing the theme to CSI.

Anyway, Kurzweil sent him one of only 2 prototypes of the board...mainly for publicity as the "K" part isn't working quite right yet...but the "PC3" part works fine..which is what he was using.

Anyway, thought it was interesting.

• Members

Does anyone know if this performance was lip-synced to a previously recorded track?

I was going to salute Kurzweil for their bravery in putting a prototype instrument in such a critical and exposed performance setting...

Although there were backing tracks, it was obviously not lip-synced.

Congrats to Kurzweil. Although as per the norm, the cameras barely focused on the keyboard player (or the bassist for that matter). (So if they were hoping for publicity, well... :lol:)

• Members

Although there were backing tracks, it was obviously not lip-synced.

Congrats to Kurzweil. Although as per the norm, the cameras barely focused on the keyboard player (or the bassist for that matter). (So if they were hoping for publicity, well...
:lol:
)

Well...enough publicity that it got out to keyboard players here at least. :D

• Members

Yeah, I saw the Kurz logo too. Started to mention that to the people I was hanging out with, but none of them would have known what the hell I was talking about.

Totally OT, but did anyone else think their performance sucked all kinds of ass and balls ? Has that drummer even heard of, or listened to, Kieth Moon ? His parts weren't even close. The bassist did a nice job, though.

I'm pretty sure the Baba O Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again parts were sampled.

• Members

Has that drummer even heard of, or listened to, Kieth Moon ? His parts weren't even close. The bassist did a nice job, though.

That "drummer" is Zak Starkey, son of Ringo. He's been playing with the band since 1994. Keith Moon was a close friend of Ringo's, so I'm guessing Zak probably knew him when he was a little tike.:)

• Members

Totally OT, but did anyone else think their performance sucked all kinds of ass and balls ? Has that drummer even heard of, or listened to, Kieth Moon ? His parts weren't even close. The bassist did a nice job, though.

It wasn't the suck, but it wasn't what you'd expect of a Super Bowl halftime show IMHO. That's what you get for picking a band 30 years past its sell-by date.

• Members

I guess you didn't like the Paul McCartney or Prince halftime shows either.:p

Where is Janet Jackson when you need her..:lol: At least they didn't have a wardrobe malfunction, now that would have sucked.

Folks, and many of you know this already, there just isn't enough time to set these shows up properly. Anytime you are putting together a stage show in that amount of time, things are gonna happen, cables, mics, earpieces, sync issues...blah blah blah.

• Members

That "drummer" is Zak Starkey, son of Ringo. He's been playing with the band since 1994. Keith Moon was a close friend of Ringo's, so I'm guessing Zak probably knew him when he was a little tike.
:)

Oh, that's very different then.

Nevermind.

In any case (IMOFO), the parts he played weren't true to the originals, that's all. I never was a huge Who fan anyway to start with.

• Members

you don't have to explain, I understand. Name recognition doesn't necessarily add up to talent. I was just letting you know he wasn't some dude that walked off the street or auditioned recently for the gig.

Of course there's always Jason Bonham, who I think is really good.:)

btw goofball, I love your avatar. We watched Horsefeathers last weekend. Chico was the man.

"what's the password?"

"I no a tella you the passaword is a swordafish" LMAO

• Members

you don't have to explain, I understand. Name recognition doesn't necessarily add up to talent. I was just letting you know he wasn't some dude that walked off the street or auditioned recently for the gig.

Of course there's always Jason Bonham, who I think is really good.
:)

Hey SeaMonkey, my response wasn't sarcastic, it was an obscure reference to an old Saturday Night Live character....

Yes indeed. Jason Bonham kicks some serious butt. I saw his band perform with a friend of mine, who happens to be a very cynical and critical listener ff music, as well as a huge Zep fan (as am I). He commented that they were very, very, good.

• Members

Guess if you're a rock band, you only have a certain "shelf life". Then you should just give it up and never perform again.

If you're a blues artist, or jazz, or country or folk, then you can play gigs until you drop. But if you were a rock act, no one respects you.
:idk:

Yes, this is true in some people's eyes. :idk:

IMHO, rock acts remain fresh when they continue to write original material and perform. What makes The Who stale is, really, they have had one original album since 1982, which was meh received; and their performances have been sporadic.

In contrast, Paul McCartney and Prince both have had *plenty* of albums in the last 30 years, some *very* well received; and both of them perform much more regularly. They aren't stale yet.

• Members

Yes, this is true in some people's eyes.

IMHO, rock acts remain fresh when they continue to write original material and perform. What makes The Who stale is, really, they have had one original album since 1982, which was meh received; and their performances have been sporadic.

In contrast, Paul McCartney and Prince both have had *plenty* of albums in the last 30 years, some *very* well received; and both of them perform much more regularly. They aren't stale yet.

Next you'll tell me the Beach Boys are stale!

:D

• Members

Guess if you're a rock band, you only have a certain "shelf life". Then you should just give it up and never perform again.

If you're a blues artist, or jazz, or country or folk, then you can play gigs until you drop. But if you were a rock act, no one respects you.

I think that's partially because rock has always been the voice of youth, and fundamentally rebellious. As rock stars get old, they are no longer relevant to the new youth, and the big rock bands like The Who actually become a part of the mainstream institution, anything but rebellious.

• Members

...another version of the story holds that Bankhead met Chico Marx at a party before her reputation had overturned the presumption that William B. Bankhead's daughter would be disgusted by Marx's typically crude (yet generally effective) approach. According to Dick Cavett, after Marx had been cautioned to be on his best behavior with Bankhead, the two first spoke at the punch bowl.

"Miss Bankhead."

"Mr. Marx." And, as everyone breathed a sigh of relief, Chico told her, "You know, I really want to {censored} you.". She replied, "And so you shall, you old-fashioned boy."

• Members

The keyboard player was playing one with those old guys that were playing the theme to CSI.

Those old guys? The theme from CSI? Hahaha (I almost afraid to ask your age).

I wonder how 2 of the greatest rock artists who wrote one of the greatest rock songs of all time feel about being reduced to that!

Archived