I want to record .. simplest way?

Craggan

• Members

Buy a mic shure 57, 4 track, and a long cable to connect the mic to my soundblaster 2 Audigy ?..

and/or what else?

I would like to be able to record my guitar, then edit into mp3 onto my computer ..

I dont have any software except for some fruy loops drumsoftware I got along time ago with my Guitar tracks pro (2001 edition, its old)

My amps/guitar are in a seperate room than my computer ..

thanks.

• Members

There's many options but I would suggest a used M-Audio 24 bit Duo for about $50-$75 and Cubase SE3 for about $150-$200. You could also buy Cubase SE but IMO its way to stripped down. Maybe get the Audix I5 mic for baout $80 shipped. I tried the Audigy 2 (PCMCIA card) for laptops and didn't care the results.

• Members

Originally posted by Craggan

Buy a mic shure 57, 4 track, and a long cable to connect the mic to my soundblaster 2 Audigy ?..

and/or what else?

I would like to be able to record my guitar, then edit into mp3 onto my computer ..

I dont have any software except for some fruy loops drumsoftware I got along time ago with my Guitar tracks pro (2001 edition, its old)

My amps/guitar are in a seperate room than my computer ..

thanks.

If I had to start with what you have, I'd buy a mic and a mic preamp. Go from mic>mic preamp>Audigy>Guitar Tracks Pro.

This is what I WOULDN'T do:

- Buy a 4 track

- Upgrade your soundcard -people will tell you to do this but an Audigy is fine to begin with

- Buy new software - Guitar Tracks Pro will "expose" you to what is involved with recording. You shouldn't upgrade your software until you know the right questions to ask. After working with Guitar Tracks, you'll come up with some of those questions.

As far as your stuff being in a different room, I'd just find a way to move it. The fact that you're stuff is a few feet away shouldn't dictate your recording setup.

• Members

I love the TonePort UX2 ...
under 200. has so many features including obviously the amp and cab models to play into .. vocal pre-amps ... bass amps and cabs ..

but yeah you will also need some software.. I'm running Guitar tracks Pro 3 ... has done everything I've needed so far ..

note ...
Just a couple of months ago I bought a new CPU with the Audigy 2 in it .. and I have had better cheaper Soundcards .. It works but with quirks here and there ..
I'll be grabbing a better one soon ..

• Members

thanks ..

But I want to record my amp with a mic, ..not play into software emulating an amp/cab ..

mic>mic preamp>Audigy>Guitar Tracks Pro

if I do the above, do I need a really long cable? The PC, and the amp are in differant rooms..

am I asking to much?

• Members

Originally posted by Craggan

thanks ..

But I want to record my amp with a mic, ..not play into software emulating an amp/cab ..

mic>mic preamp>Audigy>Guitar Tracks Pro

if I do the above, do I need a really long cable? The PC, and the amp are in differant rooms..

am I asking to much?

Yes, you'd need a really long cable. Make sure you use a low impedance XLR cable if you're going to use a long cable (this is probably what you'd use anyway).

Archived