Need to play keyboard notes with my feet!!

redefiningsin

• Members

Hi All,

Hope someone here can help because everywhere Ive pulled a blank on this and can't get deffinate answers.

I am a guitarist and I am looking for a way to incorporate some of the simple string sections of the music I write in to my live performances.

What I need to do is be able to play notes on my keyboard (when on its string setting) using footpedals, I need an octive, 12 seperate pedals I can press to play a note when needed.

I was certain something like this *should* exist, and it *seems* as if products do but I am a keyboard newbie and have already wasted

• Members

There's also the Roland PK-5A which can function as a regular midi bass pedal set. But it obviously can be programmed to play any octave, not just the bass octave.

Also, I think it can also be set up to play sequences, and do midi program chances, and CC changes too. I don't know if it can send multiple midi note messages at a time, but you really should download the whole user manual before you buy it anyway.

HOWEVER, if you need to play chords, you should try a different approach: try programming the chords on your synth. I'm not familiar with your particular keyboard, but one way to do it is with layers. Have each layer be the same program sound, and then transpose each one a minor or major 3rd or whatever.

• Members

The PK-5 should do it for you. You can transpose it accross the whole key range. There are two single note modes: one is note on/off like a regular keyboard, the other holds the note until you hit another one - nice for strings/pads/drones.

You can also have a polyphonic mode which will allow you to hold down more than one note at a time (I can play diads with mine - I've heard that some more "talented" chaps can do full triads...)

There is also a drum mode which lets you assign a note value to each pedal - nice and a mode that allows you to send out CC#'s assigned to each pedal.

They aren't cheap, mind you. Before you invest in one, I'd suggest having a go at playing your guitar while seated at an organ with pedal controls. I found that playing bass notes while playing guitar to be a real motherbitch.

• Members

The FCB1010 you have can play separate MIDI notes like you want. Just have to program it, is all.

On mine, the first bank is set to play ACDEGA, and BC#D#F. The next bank plays the same thing, but an octave lower. Other banks are set up to play other notes, and it's still used as MIDI volume control, filter sweep, patch change, turn patches on/off, etc.

But if you got the $$$ and not the patience, a more expensive, ready-to-go big-name dedicated bass pedal is probably best for you.

• Members

Firstly thanks to everyone who responded, really helpful :)

To the guy who said play with my bare feet... I have done that once at a rehearsal at it worked using my big toe but no way am I doing that live LOL

The FCB1010 you have can play separate MIDI notes like you want. Just have to program it, is all.

On mine, the first bank is set to play ACDEGA, and BC#D#F. The next bank plays the same thing, but an octave lower. Other banks are set up to play other notes, and it's still used as MIDI volume control, filter sweep, patch change, turn patches on/off, etc.

But if you got the $$$ and not the patience, a more expensive, ready-to-go big-name dedicated bass pedal is probably best for you.

psionic11, using what I have is absolutely the best option for me, Im very strap for cash and if I can get this thing to work I will be so happy.

I do have the patience but I must say I spent a whole day trying to work it out, I couldn't get it to do anything, I read the manual multiple times too lol.

I would seriously appreciate it if you could give me some direction, I would actually be prepared to pay you if you could get me to get it working for me, if you could call me or mail me to walk me through it... pretty desperate to get this sorted!! Not even sure I connect the thing up right!!

• Members

Oh and just to clear this up for me, all these footpedals will just play the sounds that I have selected on the keyboard at the time??

The keyboard has about 9 voices, not the full MIDI instrument range if that makes any difference?

The FCB has 10 banks. I'm going to show you how to program 10 notes for that bank. That bank will also automatically call up a MIDI patch, the strings in this case.

You can also set it up so that when you switch banks, it will call up a different patch with different (or the same) notes.

The expression pedals can be also set up do whatever MIDI thing you want, as well. For example, you make it so that the first expression pedal always controls your synth's volume, no matter what patch, and so that your 2nd exp pedal always opens/closes your filter, giving you a type of wah-wah pedal. Or you can make it so that sometimes one pedal does volume, and on other patches it does panning, etc.

• Members

I'd go this route:

http://www.basyn.com/

Yikes! $400 bucks for a big, ugly, bulky unit that only does one sound at a time? And an external wall-wart for its power supply? :evil:

Granted, it is analog with VCOs/VCAs, but you'd have to bend over between songs, dial up some knobs, only to get an approximate sound for the next song.

• Members

I have used the FCB1010 with great success to do exactly what you seek.

I am a guitarist and I am looking for a way to incorporate some of the simple string sections of the music I write in to my live performances.

What I need to do is be able to play notes on my keyboard (when on its string setting) using footpedals

The device I tried using before was this a Behringer MIDI FOOT CONTROLLER FCB1010:

I've also taken it a step beyond; I use it to play chords of 3 notes. Because the FCB sends only one note, that functionality is in part dependent upon the synth you use. But you can easily get double stops; it is achieved via detuning osc2. So you set the note you want, then as part of that pedal's midi control functionality you send an osc2 detune value with it.

Used properly within your music, it can really fill things out. Because as you are no doubt aware, those double stops can be ANY interval: a major 3rd, minor 3rd, 6th, 7th, tritone, etc. Voice it correctly and you can really add complexity.

The other cool feature is that ANY of the 10 footswitches can send ANY MIDI note. So you're not confined to a single octave, or even two or three.

• Members

Yikes! $400 bucks for a big, ugly, bulky unit that only does one sound at a time? And an external wall-wart for its power supply?
:evil:

Granted, it is analog with VCOs/VCAs, but you'd have to bend over between songs, dial up some knobs, only to get an approximate sound for the next song.

2 Points:

1. My mistake. I meant the controller (at the bottom for $199). You couldn't break that thing through any type of normal usage.

2. Compared to the Moog Taurus ($2500 give or take), $399 is a steal! And that's the market it went after. You really don't change bass sounds like you're changing synth patches for every song. Geddy Lee used 1 or 2 sounds throughout his entire career!

-Mc

• Members

2 Points:

1. My mistake. I meant the controller (at the bottom for $199). You couldn't break that thing through any type of normal usage.

2. Compared to the Moog Taurus ($2500 give or take), $399 is a steal! And that's the market it went after. You really don't change bass sounds like you're changing synth patches for every song. Geddy Lee used 1 or 2 sounds throughout his entire career!

-Mc

1. Agreed, the controller is more reasonably priced. He has a controller though, so with some help we should be able to get him where he needs to be with minimal cost.

2. Props for mentioning Geddy. Rush is why I have a MIDI footcontroller for triggering bass notes. Don't forget Alex also did the riverdance.=)

• 9 years later...
  • Members

I am really interested in a step by step instruction to programming the FCB1010 to a foot keyboard controller.

My thought is this.

A Roland GR33 and an FCB1010 I change patches with the the GR33A and play the notes with the FCB1010.  Which will make a compact portable system.

I want to program the buttons for these note combinations these will be in banks of octaves.

B/F#/B

C/G/C

D/A/D

E/B/E

F#/C#/F#

G/D/G

A/E/A

B/F#/B

These are the most common triad combinations I use.  

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate this would make a killer setup live.  Because you can can change patches on the GR33a directly.  You can detune the patch. As well.

Archived