Engl Blackmore or Peavey JSX?

Heretic

• Members

I get compliments all the time on my live sound from people in the audience to sound guys. Maybe some of you that do music store demos aren't able to use them as intended, I have no idea. Here's what I like about the JSX:

One of the best clean channels of a high gain amp I've had.

Amber channel has enough gain that you can boost it for saturated leads, or leave it alone and use your volume control to clean it up. Very versatile and great sounding channel.

FX Loop is great. Very transparent works well with pedals or rack gear.

Amp is easy to bias without taking the chassis out. Can run 6L6s or EL34s.

Channel switching is quick and silent, fx loop is switchable too

The JSX is just a great amp.

Pete

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I did use it through a GFlex 212 and it sounded like {censored}, there is no way we are talking about the same amp, that, or there was something definitely wrong with my amp, even though i brought it in for service twice and swithced to JJ 6L6 GCs. Maybe it was biased wrong? either way mine sucked, but now i have a DSL100 and i'm loving it through the same cab, so it's ancient history.

• Members

Originally posted by toelessfoot

I did use it through a GFlex 212 and it sounded like {censored}, there is no way we are talking about the same amp, that, or there was something definitely wrong with my amp, even though i brought it in for service twice and swithced to JJ 6L6 GCs. Maybe it was biased wrong? either way mine sucked, but now i have a DSL100 and i'm loving it through the same cab, so it's ancient history.

You are right there is no way we are talking about the same amp because I can't see how you could possibly make the JSX sound like {censored} no matter what you did. It may be your choice or wording or that it's just not your cup of tea which I can understand but it's pretty tough to make them sound bad actually. The bias does have a big effect on the sound too btw.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

You are right there is no way we are talking about the same amp because I can't see how you could possibly make the JSX sound like {censored} no matter what you did. It may be your choice or wording or that it's just not your cup of tea which I can understand but it's pretty tough to make them sound bad actually. The bias does have a big effect on the sound too btw.

I thought it was just the amp and that it wasn't my cup of tea, but hearing you guys talk about it now I'm convinced I had a lemon. I'm going to hafta get out to a music store and try one again to see.

• Members

Originally posted by toelessfoot

I thought it was just the amp and that it wasn't my cup of tea, but hearing you guys talk about it now I'm convinced I had a lemon. I'm going to hafta get out to a music store and try one again to see.

well it might not be your cup of tea and I could 100% see that but to hear someone say it sounds like {censored} makes me think something weird was going on.

Archived