Looking for my first Fendar amp, suggestions??

Beergoblin

• Members

I'm looking for something Fender, or Fender-esque. I'd like something tube that has those great Fender cleans with a reverb and can do a good SRV imitation/slight breakup type of sound. If it can push itself via a boost up front into rock territory thats a bonus, but not needed as I already have that covered. An effects loop would be nice, but not completely necessary.

Also!! I'd like something that sounds decent at a reasonable volume without any attenuating. If this doesn't exist so be it, but that would definately be a bonus.

Where to start? Is there that much of a difference between their line soundwise besides power and extra features? Any help is appreciated :thu:

PS I plan on using this with both single coils and humbuckers if that makes any difference.

• Members

Price wise I'd like to keep it around 3-500, but I could push that a little more if it was really worth my while. I don't really plan on using this too much with a band, just for home use so something small is all I need.

As far as new vs old, I'm not too picky.

• Members
Originally posted by Loghead

An awful lot of Fenders fit this description.

Ya I know :D I'm looking for a little input as to whether there is a huge difference between them soundwise. I plan on running to a shop or two to give a few a whirl, I'm just wondering if theres any in particular I should really keep an eye out for.

• Members

Originally posted by bluesmann

Check out the hotrod deluxe. The stock tubes suck, but if you replace them with a good 6L6gc and tungsol x7s or a 12ax7c it becomes a good amp. I got 2 of em. check the bias 68mv works for me.

+1, especially if you don't need to use the drive channel. The Deluxe is just a bit out of your price range new though at $600.

• Members

Originally posted by bikescene

+1, especially if you don't need to use the drive channel. The Deluxe is just a bit out of your price range new though at $600.

there is nothing wrong with the drive channel after the tube change. it will kick ass.

• Members

You can probably pick up a Used Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue for about $500-600.

If you have a cab, used silverface Fender Bandmasters and Bassmans are pretty cheap. Look for years '68-'72 or so.

If you are just using it at home, check out a used fender silverface champ, again from '68-'72.

• Members

Originally posted by blackba

You can probably pick up a Used Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue for about $500-600.

If you have a cab, used silverface Fender Bandmasters and Bassmans are pretty cheap. Look for years '68-'72 or so.

If you are just using it at home, check out a used fender silverface champ, again from '68-'72.

dont you mean 64-68?

• Members

Originally posted by JiroJan

dont you mean 64-68?

That would be idea, but may be costly.

The silverfaces which start in '68 would be cheaper than a blackface.

Obviously the '64-'68 would be more desirable than a '68-'72 fender, but I was looking at cost.

• Members

Originally posted by blackba

That would be idea, but may be costly.

The silverfaces which start in '68 would be cheaper than a blackface.

Obviously the '64-'68 would be more desirable than a '68-'72 fender, but I was looking at cost.

id advise him to look at the mid 67-68 fenders silverface looks, blackface guts...and they cost about $150 less then a blackface

Archived