What exactly is a strobe tuner?

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

I have used strobe tuners designed for pianos, and definitely seen and been interested in the peterson offerings... but what exactly is the difference in technology? The reason why I am interested is that it just seems easier to use as far as the visual display... For some reason its easier to tune that way for me, but what is actually different?

• Members

My take on it is that a true "strobe" tuner uses a strobing light source set at a fixed frequency and applies it to the string. When the string's frequency matches that of the strobe, it is in tune.

On a "virtual strobe" the electronic signal is used instead of an actual light source. The signal is probably matched to a digital timer (Is the 555 chip still in use?) and the display is set up to simulate the accuracy and functionality of the true "strobe" tuner.

Whatever the case, I love my Peterson VS-I more than most any other peice of gear that I own. I definitely would never be without it.

Hope this helps,

-Ron

• Members

Originally posted by Ponec

My take on it is that a true "strobe" tuner uses a strobing light source set at a fixed frequency and applies it to the string. When the string's frequency matches that of the strobe, it is in tune.

On a "virtual strobe" the electronic signal is used instead of an actual light source. The signal is probably matched to a digital timer (Is the 555 chip still in use?) and the display is set up to simulate the accuracy and functionality of the true "strobe" tuner.

Whatever the case, I love my Peterson VS-I more than most any other peice of gear that I own. I definitely would never be without it.

Hope this helps,

-Ron

thank you sir...

Archived