Peavey JSX vs Marshall TSL 100

Grindcore13

• Members

to me they are both great amps but I personally prefer the JSX and obviously I bought one. With a set of 6l6gc's in it the JSX can hang with just about anything out there for great tone. The Marshall is great to but it's a Marshall so it's either a lovehate thing. I wouldn't mind owning both but since I had to choose I got the JSX.

• Members

Originally posted by Grindcore13

I have tried the Marshall and really like the tone and drive of it. I have been reading about the JSX from Peavey. Anyone play the JSX? What are you thoughts on it? How does it compare to the TSL100 from Marshall?

don't know about the JSX but I have a TSL100 head and I love it.

• Members

If you *must* have the Marshall sound,(although the JSX can get pretty Marshally on the crunch channel for most people) get the TSL100, other wise the JSX is just as good if not better IMHO.(it can definately get more modern sounding for metal) Both of them are pretty flexable amps, with a slight edge in more versatility to the JSX(thanks to the power tube select, fat switches, global presence, resonance and active EQ's) and it will be cheaper than the TSL to boot.

• Members

I've owned a TSL100, DSL50 (didn't learn the first time around) and now the JSX.

JSX is the hands down winner in all regards. The TSL always had the "ice-pick" tone that made bandmates mad, and that was running the treble fairly low. It had no low end either.

While the cleans were decent with the TSL they didn't touch my JSX.

I had both the TSL and DSL retubed while I owned them and that didn't make them any better.

Don't forget reliability, I had the TSL footswitch cord crap out after only a couple of months use. Knock on wood the JSX has no issues.

I wanted the TSL and DSL to work for me but it just never happened.

• Members

Originally posted by D/FW XJ'er

This isn't even a contest. TSL100 all the way.

JSX is a toy in comparison.
:freak:

Haha, taste is very subjective man. Comparing the JSX or the TSL for that matter to a toy is a baseless, strawman arguement as both are well used by touring professionals. Just be honest and admit you don't like Peavey man, it's okay, you aren't the first. :D:cool:

• Members

Both are cool amps, but it really comes down to your tonal preference. I owned a DSL and a JSX. For my tonal preference, the JSX won out and I sold the DSL. My other guitar player owns a TSL and while he likes it, he comments that if he had to do it over again, he'd get a JSX. I'd suggest trying both out and seeing which suits your tastes more.

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

The JSX is more versatile but the thing I like about the DSL is the Deep Switch. Without it, I would hate the DSL.
:D

PS, I know some people are selling their JSX's (me because I got the Randall RM100 with modules!).

I'm surprised you held on to it this long to be honest. Some guys just like to buy and sell gear which is fine and you happen to be one of those.

• 14 years later...
  • Members
On 6/22/2006 at 5:40 PM, sgmarshall said:

Seems I'm in the minority here, I've owned both, and still own the TSL. I thought I liked the JSX better at first, but playing 2 nights back to back, first night JSX, second night TSL, the JSX got traded.

I GOT TO THIS PAGE BECAUSE I'M THINKING TO CHANGE MY JSX HEAD FOR A MARSHAL TSL 602 COMBO, AND WITH THIS I READ MAKES ME DOUBT TO CHANGE IT. I PLAY IN A SMALL PLACE AND THE JSX IS A MONSTER FOR THAT PLACE, I THINK THE 60 WATTS TSL COMBO IS OK. WHAT DO YOU THINK?I GOT TO THIS PAGE BECAUSE I'M THINKING TO CHANGE MY JSX HEAD FOR A MARSHAL TSL 602 COMBO, AND WITH THIS I READ MAKES ME DOUBT TO CHANGE IT. I PLAY IN A SMALL PLACE AND THE JSX IS A MONSTER FOR THAT PLACE, I THINK THE 60 WATTS TSL COMBO IS OK. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Archived