Egnater MOD 100 review

mctallica1

• Members

Anybody followin this thread have any experience with any of bruce's other stuff?? I've always wondered bout the TOL series and how they sound, seems like he has a design philosophy he follows with all his amps,

Im gassing pretty bad right now for a RM-100 right now,

seems like a cover bands guitarist dream rig come to life!!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've played a TOL before....sounded awesome. Again....without some sort of external boost there's no way you'd reach modern metal tones. It does the Eric Johnson vibe excellent though....

I guess you could call the RM100 a cover bands dream but that is just so boring. I plan on mixing all my modules to create a sound diversity similar to actual records....I switch back and forth all the time and it doesn't sound forced...guess you gotta try it.

Just borrowed a Blackface....very nice.

• Members

Originally posted by penguin_316

I've played a TOL before....sounded awesome. Again....without some sort of external boost there's no way you'd reach modern metal tones. It does the Eric Johnson vibe excellent though....

I guess you could call the RM100 a cover bands dream but that is just so boring. I plan on mixing all my modules to create a sound diversity similar to actual records....I switch back and forth all the time and it doesn't sound forced...guess you gotta try it.

Just borrowed a Blackface....very nice.

Sonic Diversiy is pretty much what I was getting at,The ability to cover a lot of tones with 1 head, 1 cabinet,

I'm dying to try one.

• Members

I had a Vetta, now THAT was a coverband's dream amp. May get another one, but the Vetta had so many decent tones that I gave up getting one or two awesome ones. The RM100 so far has some awesome tones in it, and I've only tried 5 modules. :) Can't wait to try it at the gig week after next.

Pete

• Members

mctallica: many congrats on your MOD100 acquisition. I have one of Bruce's first dual-channel units and I do say that MOST (not all) of my amp GAS has subsided since getting it. I am getting some really great low-volume tones out of this 100 watter which is a tribute to some good preamp distortion engineering on Bruce's part and a good master volume.

I've noticed the MOD100 to be a bit cabinet fussy as well. It likes my Bogner V30 OS2x12 (open-back) at lower volumes but at higher volumes the sound loses definition and tightness. It could be tubes I suppose but I am also considering a closed-back splawn/voodoo cab with some emi's in it for a change of pace. I have a suspicion that the Emi's will open up the sound a fair bit.

I haven't had your experience with the MHG module at all! For me this module is tight with lots of good chug-chug and plenty of juice and harmonics. I love it. It might have something to do with the NOS Chinese tubes in it though.

I'm following your tube-swapping adventures with interest... want to start playing with some new power and preamp tubes. Now I understand the tube addiction that THD owners undergo. As if there isn't enough accessory GAS (tubes, pedals etc) to go around in the first place!

Michael.

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

Cover band dream = Variax + Pod XT Live (or pro)

Generally speaking I would have to agree with this, but MY GOD do you ever have to spend the time tweaking the models to get a sound that you can live with.

I use a POD XTL in the parallel loop of the MOD100 to provide delay/chorus etc and it works really well for that though I have found it to be hard on buffer tubes.

M.

• Members

Got the Ultra XL and had a chance to play it for about an hour.

If you like the Ultra module, you will most likely LOVE this one!

It has pretty similar tone (not quite as much bass), but is tighter. There is more gain on this thing than you could ever need. I like loads of gain and I have been keeping it about noon.

It can nail Panteraish tones with an EQ in the loop and can also do great death metal type tone.

I found the mid knob to be extremely useable all the way around.... even dimed.

Overall, I like this module more than the Ultra, which is saying something because the cap modded Ultra was my favorite high gain module from teh Randall lineup.

As you know, my Egnater MHG module is at their shop to be modded to Ultra specs. I sent off an email this afternoon asking if it wasn't too late to have it modded to the XL specs instead

I am not sure which of the high gain modules I currently have is my favorite, they all kick ass in different ways.

The only one that is expendable to me right now is the Ultra because I like the UltraXL more and they are pretty similar. If it isn't too late to have the MHG modded to XL specs, I will most likely return the one I have and sell the Ultra.

BTW, todays jamming was at practice volumes (wife and kids were away).

• Members

Originally posted by Orren

Thanks for the Ultra XL review! I have been greedily eyeing the Ultra XL and 1086 myself.

A few weeks to go until my MOD50!
:)

Orren

I gotta tell you, I was pretty shocked that I like it better than the Ultra.... that module kicks ass for death metal type tones.

On a side note, I noticed, when playing at louder volumes there is some very faint extra buzz/distortion in the Randall modules that is not there in the Erect (Egnater) module. COuld be the preamp tube choise or could be something in the basic design/components of the Randall. will be experimenting with this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ive played just about every mod and egnater has to offer and I was never that impressed, the randall goes the same except for the huge price difference.

Ian Egg (son of the owner) is one of my very close friends, I grew up in berkley michigan and both him and Griffon of the band one day remains (www.myspace.com/onedayremains) play egnaters.

There are way better amps for the price the MOD 100 goes for.

Archived