Egnater MOD 100 review

mctallica1

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

They have a RM20 combo and head but one module.....defeats the purpose.

I guess that depends what you feel "the purpose" is. I've not asked Randall or Bruce, but it seems to me, the purpose of that head/combo is a nice, low watt recording amp, since none of the Randall RM amps (or even the RT2/50 power amp) have a low wattage switch. Even if they made a RM20 with a slot for every module, you could only record one at a time.

So I think that with one slot, it serves my concept of its "purpose" just fine. If I wanted a giging Randall modular, I would get a higher wattage amp (with more preamp slots as well).

That is one of the great things about the Egnater MOD amps. The low wattage switch.

Orren

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I did but it is a bit loose. It just doesn't have the sweet chugga chugga of the DSL.
:(

It will be interesting to see what the Mr Scary can do in this regard.

If it is anythign like the 1086 in terms of versatility and tone quality, it may be a keeper.

• Members

Originally posted by Orren

I guess that depends what you feel "the purpose" is. I've not asked Randall or Bruce, but it seems to me, the purpose of that head/combo is a nice, low watt recording amp, since none of the Randall RM amps (or even the RT2/50 power amp) have a low wattage switch. Even if they made a RM20 with a slot for every module, you could only record one at a time.

So I think that with one slot, it serves my concept of its "purpose" just fine. If I wanted a giging Randall modular, I would get a higher wattage amp (with more preamp slots as well).

That is one of the great things about the Egnater MOD amps. The low wattage switch.

Orren

I've heard of guys using JJ 6V6s in the RM100 heads with great success. I need to see if I can use some of my old RCA and JAN 6V6s in there though... another option is yellowjackets (EL84 adapters).

I'm even thinking about running a pair of NOS 6V6s on the outside and the yellowjackets with EL84s on the inside. :D

I have all these ideas and I'm waitin on the FedEx guy now. This is going to be a looooong week.

Pete

• Members

The way I see it is that the amp is to replace a handful of amps and having just one module at once seems silly. Sure you can change out the modules but someone told me that changing them out often isn't good for the amp. Whether its true or not, don't know.

• Members

You can only use the JJ 6V6's in the Randall/Egnater amps. These are the only brand of tubes that can handle the increased voltage (I think that's the right spec). Anyway straight from Bruce only use JJ 6V6's.

I've got some in my RM50 head and it sounds fantastic - and I don't have to carry a HotPlate around with me. Works perfect for gigging volumes as well.

• Members

Originally posted by ned911

You can only use the JJ 6V6's in the Randall/Egnater amps. These are the only brand of tubes that can handle the increased voltage (I think that's the right spec). Anyway straight from Bruce only use JJ 6V6's.

I've got some in my RM50 head and it sounds fantastic - and I don't have to carry a HotPlate around with me. Works perfect for gigging volumes as well.

CORRECT...per Frank at Egnater. I was told the same thing.

JJ's only.

• Members

Originally posted by ned911

Current production, yeah... but I ran RCA 6V6s in my '68 Princeton, and it was 440v at the plates.

I emailed Bruce and asked him about it, he said he wasn't sure about the NOS tubes, just from new production the JJs were the only ones.

Personally, if I can get the RCAs or older tubes to work I'd rather use them... blackplate RCAs {censored} all over any new 6L6 production tube, I'd wager the same goes for 6V6s also.

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by mctallica1

CORRECT...per Frank at Egnater. I was told the same thing.

JJ's only.

A quote from Bruce:

I know the JJ6V6 is OK at 500VDC because the JJ engineer told me so. We've tried them and they work great. I don't know about the others.

Pete

• Members

Sooooo....do 6V6's sound like ass or what? How are they in relation to EL34L's?

I've never tried them in the RM100, but I have a pair of JJ 6V6s I've used in the THD BiValve and THD Flexi 50. I would say that 6V6 tubes have the general "overtones" of a 6L6 tube, but with a bit more midrange, less highs and bass.

If you're used to EL34s, I think 6V6s will have less punch, but a bit more definition. Then again, the majority of the amps I've owned have used 6L6's, so I'm not as familiar with EL34s. My Flexi 50 came with them, but I quickly swapped them out for 6L6s, which I find have more defined bottom and top ends.

Orren

• Members

I decided to give the MHG module one last chance last night, before shipping it off to Egnater for a MOD.

Spent about 1n hour swapping tubes, messing with dials, etc and actually found some tones I dug!

I don't know if I tried it before and my ears were tired or what, but the combination I found that I like is:

Tung SOl 12ax7 and JJecc83s in the module. I also found some settings that with a very minor adjustment on my MXR 10 band produced some very cool high gain tones.

I am going to give it a few more runs through before I decide for sure to either keep it as is or ship it to Egnater.

• Members

someone told me that changing them out often isn't good for the amp. Whether its true or not, don't know.

Just an update on thie. I asked Frank at Egnater about it (yeah, we are developing quite a rapport:D ) and he said not to worry about it.

Certainly the module slots will become a bit looser ofer time, but part of the purpose of the thumb screws is to tighten the module in place.

With all that said, I would imagine if you are rough with it, things will break.... but that applies to anything.

• Members

1086 scheduled to arrive today. Along with a Custom Shop Fender Showmaster Elite.
:D

Awsome!

Just played the Mr. Scary module for about 15 minutes. My initial impression was that is was pretty fuzzy, but had some very cool tone. I switched the stock JJ preamp tubes to Tung Sol reissues and it tightened the module up quite a bit. I am liking the tone quite a bit after the switch.

2 notes:

The skull head knobs can block each other from turning depending where they are set... don't really like that, but I can live with it.

A friend is bringing over his RM100 to jam tonight (the wife and kids will be away for a while), so I will be able to do some A/B comparing at practice volume levels. Will post my findings. This will be the real/final test to see if I think the difference in price is worth the cost of admission for the Egnater.

One more thing... I find myself gravitating to the Randall high gain modules over the Egnater (they have a more modern.. whatever that is... feel to the tone), especially the Ultra and 1086...maybe the Mr Scary as well after I mess with it more. FOr th ecleaner module, the Egnater wins hands down... even over my beloved Randall Blackface.

• Members

Just got done jamming with my bro.

After extensive (Jack Daniels) testing and A/B comparison

My bud is now on the search for an Egnater MOD100.

We tried every Randall and Egnater module the two of us own and also tried various power tube combinations.

Bottom line: The Egnater performs better, sounds better and feels better to play through.

I thought there was a difference, but didn't realize how much it was before tonight

• Members

Just got done jamming with my bro.

After extensive (Jack Daniels) testing and A/B comparison

My bud is now on the search for an Egnater MOD100.

You're making me feel better about my choice of the MOD50 all the time. :) I still have a while to wait though, ah well. It will be worth it!

Orren

• Members

I slept in this morning and my boss called to wake me up. I was freaking DREAMING that I was at this weird guitar store and was looking for Randall modules. I asked the guy if they carry Randall and he gave me a sour look and said no. I asked if he knew anyone that sold the modules and he gave me a confused look and asked whats that. I then had to explain the amp. Then I went an looked at purple and pink BC Rich Warlock acoustics and thought....wow how {censored}ty. Yeah I don't even know if there is such a thing but I do know the EC1000 isn't made out of he-man toys. :eek:

• Members

Just a quick update:

I sold my Mark III and the VHT CL50 and Bogner cab are for sale as well.

Yes, the Egnater is that good IMHO;)

:eek: Didn't think I'd see you part with the VHT ;) Seriously though, I'm glad the Egnater is working out so well for you, Tony :thu:

-Attila

• Members

Hey guys...after playing both the Egnator and the RM100/50...I took the plunge on the RM100 with the Ultra module. Playing wise the 2 sounded fairly similar and the price difference just wasn't justifyable. I live in MI so I've heard quite a few different Egnators in the past as well. I think the real difference is the added flexibility in the Egnator(2 channels per module)....to say it sounds better is a personal thing. To me it definately had more chewy/vintage modules....the randall more modern/more high gain. I play mostly prog metal and can get harmonics similar to a boosted amps at low volumes....I haven't done the capacitor mod yet but will soon. This thing isn't VHT tight but it gets the job done and just sounds great.

If anyone has any other DIY mods lemme know?

Archived