Should I practice 8 hours tonight?

dylannelson

• Members

Originally posted by Paul J. Edwards

It's better to practice in smaller sessions. 4 two hour sessions over 2 days will do you better than 1 8 hour session every other day.

You can only assimilate so much in one sitting.

Actually, I just saw a video where John Petrucci recommended practicing for 64 hours a day. He says that he does it by interupting the space/time continuum and actually going back in time to practice more in the same day.

I'd say the results speak for themselves...

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

So what you're saying is, destroying expensive home furnishings, electronics and appliances motivates one to play guitar?

It just motivates me to destroy more stuff, including my guitar...

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by sah5150

Actually, I just saw a video where John Petrucci recommended practicing for 64 hours a day. He says that he does it by interupting the space/time continuum and actually going back in time to practice more in the same day.

I'd say the results speak for themselves...

Steve

There is a law of diminishing returns here. If you think you have the ability to focus on really practicing, not playing, for every waking moment than go ahead.

There is a degree of just rote playing that you can do in front of the TV. Practice those scales over and over while watching reruns of I Love Lucy.

Meaningful practice is hard to do and I bet Mr. Petrucci would be just as good if he only practiced 32 instead of the 64 hours a day. Some people have a gift that no amount of practice will equal.

• Members

It just motivates me to destroy more stuff, including my guitar...

Steve

I didn't tell you about the anual "smash party" that they have at the industrial complex where MD's shop is, did I? I went this year... it was absolutely incredible.

There's nothing quite like watching EveAnna Manley (yes, *the* Manley) bustin' up a television with a baseball bat...

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

I didn't tell you about the anual "smash party" that they have at the industrial complex where MD's shop is, did I? I went this year... it was absolutely incredible.

There's nothing quite like watching EveAnna Manley (yes, *the* Manley) bustin' up a television with a baseball bat...

I'll be expecting an invite to next years bash...

Oh crap, "bash" ya get it? I kill me again....

Steve

• Members

I'll be expecting an invite to next years bash...

Steve

I think you would dig it. The destruction was beyond anything I've ever witnessed. There was so much "stuff" that they had to use a Bobcat with a scoop on it to pickup the wreckage and put it into dumpsters.

Archived