A swamp ash SG?!

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

Originally posted by potaetoes

not much. little more balanced, really. SGs are midrange machines.

Yeah, it's just when I think of swamp ash, I always think of bright. I will have to check one of these out.

• Members

Originally posted by Japetus

Yeah, it's just when I think of swamp ash, I always think of bright. I will have to check one of these out.

when people think of alder and swamp ash, they think "bright" but it's a complete misconception. single coils and long scales, and hard neck woods are bright, and that's why strats are bright. alder and ash are actually pretty balanced. alder is a little warmer, and ash a little more neutral with a strong low end punch. remember, heavier/denser woods are harder and brighter, lighter woods are warmer.

the things that make most gibsons warmer than strats are the neck wood, scale length, and pickups. mahogany is softer than maple, plus the shorter scale and humbuckers = less bright tone. if you built an SG from the same woods as a strat, with an ash or alder body and a maple neck, it would still be a bit less bright than a strat because of the shorter scale.

• Members

they've been making swamp ash SGs for a while now... remember the voodoo series? those were all swamp ash.

thats right... didn't those have a little different scale on them too? Aimed for downtuning and all that if I remember correctly... I'm going to have to try one of these dealies out... I tune down really low and don't really want a longer scale, so having it be a bit brighter might fake people out and make them think I'm not so damned low...

I fought hard to tune up a bit, but somewhere down the line I decided to pick my battles, so I gave up a bit on the tuning issue... at the same time no one around here quite sounds like us and I attribute part of that to how low we tune... we probably wouldn't be so raw and sludgey if we tuned it back up, so I guess I kinda have to embrace it...

• Members

when people think of alder and swamp ash, they think "bright" but it's a complete misconception.

Alder is a very neurtral wood; swamp ash has a midrange spank too it, which can contribute to being seeing as "bright."

Now, if you want bright, get a solid maple job. Maple body with a maple neck. That'd be almost unbearable on a mid/high range instrument like guitar.

Sounds okay on bass, though.

• Members

when people think of alder and swamp ash, they think "bright" but it's a complete misconception. single coils and long scales, and hard neck woods are bright, and that's why strats are bright. alder and ash are actually pretty balanced. alder is a little warmer, and ash a little more neutral with a strong low end punch. remember, heavier/denser woods are harder and brighter, lighter woods are warmer.

the things that make most gibsons warmer than strats are the neck wood, scale length, and pickups. mahogany is softer than maple, plus the shorter scale and humbuckers = less bright tone. if you built an SG from the same woods as a strat, with an ash or alder body and a maple neck, it would still be a bit less bright than a strat because of the shorter scale.

I was thinkin about that too... that natural body with an Ebony board would look like sex wouldn't it? except I would imagine that would make it significantly brighter to the point of ruining it

• Members

Originally posted by BrendanO

Now, if you want bright, get a solid maple job. Maple body with a maple neck. That'd be almost unbearable on a mid/high range instrument like guitar.

Alot of George Lynch's guitars were built like that and I always thought his lead tone was too bright. His rhythm tone on the other hand....

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

I was thinkin about that too... that natural body with an Ebony board would look like sex wouldn't it? except I would imagine that would make it significantly brighter to the point of ruining it

not really. the actual neck wood and scale length have more of a tonal impact than the fretboard wood.

• Members

longer scales are better for lower tunings... hence the longer necks on basses.

yeah, I realize that, but a longer scale really does effect the tone... I would rather just deal with the scale size and get a brighter axe or pups

Archived