MOTU 828mk3?

Tomkeen

• Members

Hai guyz,

I was just looking at some audio-interfaces since I need a new one (sold the X-station). I was wondering about the MOTU828mk3. It looks like I can use it as a stand-alone mixer with built in effects, so I could get rid of my behringer rx-1602... Right? Also, how is it as an audio interface? It looks like quality stuff, I just though why not ask first :).

• Members

Thanks JD. I'm not really looking for anything special, since I'm not anything special myself. If that makes sense.

Really, I would just like a 19" rack module that doubles as interface and mixer and works without connecting a computer. The MOTU seems to do al that :)

• Members

i can't recommend the 828mk3 enough. it's a really nice piece of gear all-around: it has on-board DSP with no audible latency, you can use it as a stand-alone mixer, it sounds great, and if you ever want to run your sound into an oscillscope you just fire-up CueMix FX and you're golden.

to learn how to prepare youtube videos, i did a simple test of CueMix's oscilloscope for the 828mk3 (this is definitely early because i otherwise would have made the oscilloscope fullscreen).

[YOUTUBE]cH7OgQ2z07o[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I like my MOTU 828mkii ... but I absolutely detest using its front panel controls ... as much as I hate using the computer when hardware is an option, I don't even bother with its dinky controls and display except to change master or headphone volume ... (and even that could be better ... I just don't like the mkii controls on front at all ... )

Maybe the mkiii is different but I don't think so ...

I bought mine used (which is another issue ... MOTU doesn't do free downloads of its manuals ... and personally I think that sucks and doesn't engender any goodwll toward the company ... )

While the interface is generally very stable and the recording quality is good, even two years on, I still don't like much about it other than those two qualities (which admittedly are the most important, which is why I haven't gotten rid of it yet ... )

My next audio interface is going to be much more mixer-like ...

Good luck ...

• Members

i've *never* used the front-panel controls, that pretty much goes with everything i have that is 1U. i mainly control it directly from Digital Performer which is also setup to work with my Novation Remote Zero. otherwise i use CueMix FX.

i upgraded from the 828mk2, that is a worthy upgrade to check out due to the on-board DSP and lack of latency. i also use a 896mk1.

physical control for the 828mk3:

logic2.jpg

• Members

I probably wouldn't use the front panel controls either. I'll just set the levels like I want them too and if needed I'll change volume from the keyboards. And it's not a big issue to bring along my macbook, as it weighs nearly nothing :)

Thanks for the info guys :)

Gribs: I'll check that RME, thanks for the suggestion :)

Archived