VHT pitbull amp choice

skaaks

• Members

Sup ya'll,

I currently own a pitbull 50/st w/ the graphic EQ that I'm digging, but I'm really wishing I had that third channel sometimes. That being said, I have an offer for a partial trade for an ultralead without the EQ that I'm thinking of going for. For all of you who have played pitbulls with both EQ options, can you still get that perfect tone without the EQ? The reason I ask is because my ST is an older version with the EL84s that can be a bit piercing if not EQ'ed exactly right. I couldn't imagine using that amp w/o the EQ. I'd love to go try it out and hear for myself, but I live nowhere near a VHT dealer so hopefully some of you can give me some input.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Thanks for your help guys... How is the headroom on the UL compared to the ST? I'd imagine the KT88s are a little better at that than the EL84s. I've noticed a hint of distortion on the ST when the volume on my guitar is maxed.

• Members

Originally posted by skaaks

Greazy,

Awesome. That's exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Thanks again.

The ST is more laid back in its feel. You can dial in the UL for a similar tone as the ST, but it will still have a more aggresive edge.

They are different enough that having both would be a cool thing :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by BARHOPPER

Don't forget about keeping an eye out for a CLX with an EQ if you'd like to go with the EL34 power section. 3 channels and an EQ to boot! Awesome amp!

Correct I personnaly prefer it a bit better than UL although they're both f@#$#! awesome amps

• Members

Originally posted by Greazygeo

The ST is more laid back in its feel. You can dial in the UL for a similar tone as the ST, but it will still have a more aggresive edge.

They are different enough that having both would be a cool thing
:thu:

Y'know, I asked Mega this question but he hasnt gotten his CL yet, so I'll ask you since you seem to have a lot of VHT experience. Would you say the red channel on the ST is about the same as the green channel on the CL?

• Members

Originally posted by RonniePentatonic

Y'know, I asked Mega this question but he hasnt gotten his CL yet, so I'll ask you since you seem to have a lot of VHT experience. Would you say the red channel on the ST is about the same as the green channel on the CL?

No Ron it has a bit less gain and ST is more open sounding!

• Members

Yes and no...the ST's only have three gain stages. The CL's can have three or four depending on the gain stacking switch placement.

• Members

Gotcha!
:thu:

Yeah, my ST definately is "open" sounding for sure.

Maybe I'll pick up a CL sooner or later but I worry about turning into a VHT whore like Steve...
:cool:

ST is also Steve Fryette's favorite head. He gigs with it and a 2x12 Fatbottom cab as far as I know! And I've heard also that Steve kicks major ass as a player!

• Members

Originally posted by Greazygeo

Yes and no...the ST's only have three gain stages. The CL's can have three or four depending on the gain stacking switch placement.

Cool, thanks.

Im gonna assume the voicings are about the same and theres just more preamp gain on the CL.

I'm really impressed with the clean channel in Class A mode, thru the Suhr last night I was tripping how SRVish it sounded.

Archived