Digital Synth w/ Analog Effect Pedals?

• Members

So you're saying that the Germans get their trains running on time? :poke:

i_see_what_you_did_there_poster-p2280607

And by the way StompBoxLover is right, other than the fact that most pedals are mono, their quality is much better than their digital simulations that exist in workstations and effects units. So especially for mono-synths, it's a complete no-brainer to use them.

• Members
Unlike most Americans, I've studied German and I've travelled throughout Germany and several German speaking regions, like Switzerland and Austria. I've been to most of Crazy King Ludwigs palaces in Bavaria, my favorite being Herrenchiemsee. I'd love to hear an organ playing in the cathedral in Cologne/Koln, but I've only been there between train transfers. I wish America had trains and subways that worked even half as good as the U-Bahn, S-Bahn, and ICE.

I've been in Cologne several times, but never inside the Cathedral. That's probably because Musicstore, one of the biggest instrument stores in europe is just a 5 minute walk away :p. There should be a chocolate factory somewhere there too, just haven't found it yet. It's a great city. Also had several trains delayed in Germany, but it's much worse here in Holland.

• Members
And by the way StompBoxLover is right, other than the fact that most pedals are mono, their quality is much better than their digital simulations that exist in workstations and effects units. So especially for mono-synths, it's a complete no-brainer to use them.

Sure, if you got the disposable income.

Unfortunately when it comes to analog pedals, my tastes can get pretty expensive. :cry:

• Members

I wasn't talking budget, xmlguy said that the digital emulations were actually better than their pedals/analog counterparts, so I was discussing quality.

Electro-harmonix in particular makes several pedals that sound exceptionally good, are analog, and are very cheap. Thank God for them. I'm definitely a fan... in fact, I recently got an analog delay from them that cost me less new, than a used Boss Digital delay...

I guess my "trains running on time" quote didn't get understood... and I guess it wasn't the famous comment about Mussolini that xmlguy was referring to. Oh well.

• Members

Electro-harmonix in particular makes several pedals that sound exceptionally good, are analog, and are very cheap. Thank God for them. I'm definitely a fan... in fact, I recently got an analog delay from them that cost me less new, than a used Boss Digital delay...

Do tell me more about it. Which model etc? I'm looking for an analog delay myself, but I heard they're very noisy. Is that true?

• Members

I have the Memory Boy. It's noisier than the Boss I used to have when activated (but it has true bypass so when it's off it's actually an improvement).

When I have a lot of distortion on the guitar it gets somewhat noisy, but not when I run a clean sound. So I suppose it should be ok for synths. Remember analog will always have a noise floor, it's the nature of the beast and it's what you get for a better (IMHO) sound quality.

The only issue with the Memory Boy is that the delay time isn't all that big, you only get 550ms of delay on that one. But it's enough for what I want, if I want longer delay, I have a rack Boss SDE-1000 unit that gives me about a second of low-fi 8-bit delay that sounds pretty neat.

• Members
Do tell me more about it. Which model etc? I'm looking for an analog delay myself, but I heard they're very noisy. Is that true?

The Deluxe Memory Man is Electro-Harmonix's classic analog delay pedal, but was never particularly cheap (over $300). Fortunately, there are two stripped down pedals available: the Memory Boy and Memory Toy. Memory Boy is about $99 US. Some analog delay connoisseurs love the First Echo To The Moon, which is essentially a modded Deluxe Memory Man.

The Moogerfooger effects and their prices need no introduction here. My lust for their delay, the MIDI Murf, and the Etherwave Plus (as a CV controller, not so much for the Theremin aspect) continues unabated.

Other analog delay pedulz I've had my eye on:

Analogman ARDX20: http://www.buyanalogman.com/Analog_Man_ARDX20_Dual_Analog_Delay_p/am-ardx20.htm

DMB Lunar ECho:
http://www.dmbpedals.com/,_/Entries/2009/2/19_Lunar_Echo.html

Like I said, my own tastes in analog delays can be expensive. However, that doesn't mean yours will be the same as mine.

CR, I must agree that any claim that the X50's internal effects are superior to their analog counterparts (I can't say if that is what he really meant) is inflammatory. :lol:

• Members
so name dropping is worse than Nazi comparisons?

Nah. But you pointed out Godwin's Law yourself, so you know that a Nazi reference is inevitable. :lol:

I think xmlguy's real beef is with the original poster calling the x50 "crappy". He seems to get very defensive about Korg synths.

Anyway. Everyone knows that the only "built-in" effect worth turning on is the chorus in a Juno-60. All others are crap. /thread

• Members
So do you think the Blofeld's distortion effects suck?

you assume too much. the filter drive curves of the Blofeld are among my most beloved features. Nevertheless sometimes I feel like putting it through a DIY fuzz box with germanium transistors and the results are :love:
both ways can happily co-exist in my brain.
sometimes it's drive curves, sometimes the overdrive effect, sometimes an external amp modeler or tube amp, or a combination thereof. If it sounds right it IS right, but the key to that is experimentation and not being content with what the manufacturer (especially one as conservative as Korg) thinks is right for you.

Archived