JV-1080 ...worth it?

• Members

After having a Roland Juno-D some years ago, I swore to never buy a Roland synth again.

HOwever, I have the opportunity to pick up a JV-1080 for a hundred bucks. Is this worth it? I listened to Keyboardwizards youtube demos and didn't like a single sound, so I'm inclined against it (although Keyboardwizards playing was very good).

I really don't want to learn another synthesis engine, nor do I want to "flip" it...

Are there ANY cool, interesting sounds that aren't totally dated? I'm so bored with sad minimoog emulations.

A wacky harpsichord? Some spacey orchestral percussion? Anything of interest?

• Members

Depends what you want it to do, a stock unit has a number of sounds, check the Synthmania site for the 2080 review (if I remember the 1080 has the same presets apart from the user and 'E' bank).

http://synthmania.com/jv-2080.htm

I think most people buy these for the expansion capabilities and boards, with 22 boards to choose from you may find something wacky in there (for max wackiness I would check the Special Effects expansion board).

http://synthmania.com/sr-jv80-15.htm

• Members

The interface is quite uninspiring compared to the 2080 (I have the 2080) but the pads and string sounds of the 2080 can be quite inspiring (I assume that the 1080 would be pretty much the same).

But if you listened to keybdwzrd's demo and didn't like a single sound then I guess you have already answered your own question, just skip on that one.

• Members

Yeah, well, I ran this by you guys in case there was something secretly special with the JV that I was missing. But I guess there ain't.

Average prices for expansion cards that I might like run about $100, so that feels already like good money after bad.

I'm going to decline it, but thanks guys for the quality input.

• Members

$100 is really a cheap price for the JV-1080. New, mine cost around $1,000, plus $100 each for two expansion cards. I really like the sounds of it, and am planning on using it directly into my recordings. I would never sell it for $100. Of all the sound modules I have, this one sounds the best.

• Members

I really don't want to learn another synthesis engine, nor do I want to "flip" it...

Normally $100 for a JV-1080 would be a sweet deal. But if that's going to be your level of commitment, and you aren't going to put any expansion boards into it, then yeah - you are wise to pass. A naked 1080 definitely has dated patches - as would be expected out of a board 15 years old. If you are going to get anything out of it, it's going to take some work.

BTW a 1080 is capable of very rich, warm, and interesting sounds but you've got to roll up your sleeves to get there. And frankly it's not all that easy on a 1080 because there's no way to edit and tone select at the same time like on the keyboard version - the XP-50. Roland did much better with this engine and 40x2 display on subsequent synths. The 1080 was the first of it's kind out of the block.

Once they coupled this synth engine with 360x80 displays they really figured it out.

• Members

The fact that the utility and value of the JV-1080 are now questionable is, I think, testament to the improvements we've seen in the features, interface, and programmability of romplers and workstations over the past decade or so.

I used to think that the JV-1080 and 2080 were pretty nice, and almost bought a 2080 when they were still being sold new. I ended up waiting a while and buying the XP30 for the sheer number of useful sounds -- a good call, in retrospect.

Today, to anyone thinking of buying a 1080, I'd at least recommend that they look further for an XV-3080 or 5080. They were the pinnacle of the whole JV/XP line, and still hold up well today.

• Members

only 100 dollars for JV-1080 and you think it wouldn't be worth it? :facepalm:

Guys, in here the cheapest JV-1080 is 200 euros (about $272) without any expansions and in my opinion it is really worth it!

I love those out-of-this-world pad sounds... just listen "Pure Tibet" preset sound :love:

• Members

Yeah, unless you are eating Corn Flakes for dinner, or the unit is in really beat-up shape, $100 is a STEAL. I read in an interview with Kevin Kendle, who also records as Aetherium, that the JV-1080 is his main instrument, and anyone who has ever heard his music can say that it is pretty otherworldly.

At first I thought he was using a JD-990.

• Members

After having a Roland Juno-D some years ago, I swore to never buy a Roland synth again.

HOwever, I have the opportunity to pick up a JV-1080 for a hundred bucks. Is this worth it? I listened to Keyboardwizards youtube demos and didn't like a single sound, so I'm inclined against it (although Keyboardwizards playing was very good).

Are there ANY cool, interesting sounds that aren't totally dated? I'm so bored with sad minimoog emulations.

A wacky harpsichord? Some spacey orchestral percussion? Anything of interest?

very little interest

make sure you check out Don-Bob Solaris' 5080 luv marathon

:)

• Members

$100 for a JV-1080? No-brainer. I've got one. I use it with SoundDiver, which makes it stupid easy to program. I wouldn't buy it for the presets, but then again, I'm not really a preset kinda guy.

You can find JV80 cards cheaper than the buy-it-now prices, if you've got some patience

Archived