Pickup similar to ToneZone7 in mahogany

TomLionheart

• Members

I agree with you about the ToneZone's being too bottom heavy,especially w/mahogony.I have played an Ibanez Jem 7 string and it sounded as great as it played.The Evo 7's have been reported by some to be cold sounding,however I seriously doubt that evo's are less warm than EMG's which,having played 81/85's for a few years I've returned to passives for tonality.A couple of members here have said great things about the Evo in their Mahogony bodied Les Pauls.Theres also the Dimarzio X2N which is supposed to be comparable to EMG but without active pickup tone loss.Enjoy your new custom 7!!

• Members

If it's data you crave,check out our own HC user review section.After you hit elec pickups,check the "Browse by manufacturer" box and look for Dimarzio.Reports galore on everything they've ever made including the latest 7 string entries.

• Members

Originally posted by TomLionheart

Thank you, maybe Evo is the way to go? The deeper mahogany tone may tame the Evo harshness? Any other opinions? Need info...

That's exactly right, IMO. I actually had a similar situation to you, where I'd been happily playing a UV777 with a Tone Zone 7 in the bridge, and then bought a mahogany RG7.

After a bit of research and some recommendations, I went with the Evo. It's not quite as thick sounding as the TZ/basswood, but it's also not harsh. Clarity it does have though. :thu:

So yeah, not quite as beefy as the TZ, but still chunky enough, and a bit tighter sounding.

One day I'll get off my arse and install a Blaze Custom, but that'd be going into another basswood guitar anyway...

Archived