New Unearth Song

sysera

• Members

I do not like this song. The only evolution in their sound is that they seemed to become even more stereotypical. I mean, it starts off with stacato riffs, and very quickly goes into open palm mutes, and then there is a bunch of filler, and even more open palm mutes at the end...*sigh*

I am completely underwhelmed.

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

I do not like this song. The only evolution in their sound is that they seemed to become even more stereotypical. I mean, it starts off with stacato riffs, and very quickly goes into open palm mutes, and then there is a bunch of filler, and even more open palm mutes at the end...*sigh*

I am completely underwhelmed.

I agree completely. I don't know that I would call it an evolution though.

The song is boring. The tone isn't all that good. They need to stop trying to prove they can "shred."

• Members

Originally posted by mikethedigimon

VHT deliverances and possibly Framus Cobras

I know that's their live gear--but I thought I read somewhere during the recording that they were using Ultra Leads.

edit: Here it is

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1210000

the guitars you hear in the video update, are the scratch tracks played with a triple rec & 5150. we started tracking for real last week with a vht pitbull wich will ultimately be responsible for the guitar tone on the upcoming record.

buz

unearth

• Members

Originally posted by Tyler N

I agree completely. I don't know that I would call it an evolution though.

The song is boring. The tone isn't all that good. They need to stop trying to prove they can "shred."

That was my point. The only difference is that it became more boring and generic, and they used to be a clear metalcore band, but still set apart.

Originally posted by j666

and then if they change it up, everyone bitches about it like they did with in flames...

In Flames is basically doing the same thing. They just do what's popular instead of being different anymore, although they're definitely way worse in that regard, with their sing along parts and stuff.

They already changed it too much with The Oncoming Storm. I thought that maybe they were just trying their hand at being more like the other popular modern metal bands, and seeing what they could do with that sound, or maybe they had even been told to do so to an extent, as they were then signed to Metalblade.

They made it seem like they were going to start doing something completely different, but this is a huge disappointment from a band that had so much potential. Granted, I have not heard the whole album, but with a band like this, and with what other little bits of it I have heard, it's a safe bet that it's pretty much going to sound like that all the way through. :(

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

That was my point. The only difference is that it became more boring and generic, and they used to be a clear metalcore band, but still set apart.

In Flames is basically doing the same thing. They just do what's popular instead of being different anymore, although they're definitely way worse in that regard, with their sing along parts and stuff.

They already changed it too much with The Oncoming Storm. I thought that maybe they were just trying their hand at being more like the other popular modern metal bands, and seeing what they could do with that sound, or maybe they had even been told to do so to an extent, as they were then signed to Metalblade.

They made it seem like they were going to start doing something completely different, but this is a huge disappointment from a band that had so much potential. Granted, I have not heard the whole album, but with a band like this, and with what other little bits of it I have heard, it's a safe bet that it's pretty much going to sound like that all the way through.
:(

i think if they (unearth) were trying to be like more of the "big" bands...they'd do more singing (which would TOTALLY suck)...altho they did have a few parts on storm that were sing-ish but i'm pretty sure that that was phil labonte doin' some guest vox. i agree that it doesn't seem like they're trying to do anything different but not every band has to push the envelope...some bands just need to keep the genre alive. or just rock your fukken ass off with some heavy tunes. :thu:

• Members

i think if they (unearth) were trying to be like more of the "big" bands...they'd do more singing (which would TOTALLY suck)...altho they did have a few parts on storm that were sing-ish but i'm pretty sure that that was phil labonte doin' some guest vox. i agree that it doesn't seem like they're trying to do anything different but not every band has to push the envelope...some bands just need to keep the genre alive. or just rock your fukken ass off with some heavy tunes.
:thu:

ken susi (guitar) did all the clean vocals. check out burn your wishes, his side project with adam d.

• Members

Originally posted by jshaft37

ken susi (guitar) did all the clean vocals. check out burn your wishes, his side project with adam d.

right on...i've heard that band before. so it was ken huh?

at least they kept the singing to a minimum on storm.:D

• Members

i think if they (unearth) were trying to be like more of the "big" bands...they'd do more singing (which would TOTALLY suck)...

That's true. I don't think they sold out. I just think that of all the straight-up modern metalcore bands, they had the most potential to push things somewhere else, but it seems like they thought they'd just do more of the same.

The thing that really kills it for me is all those open palm mutes. They used to to tie it in to other things, but all the did with that one was throw in that little shred gimmick. It's not even a remotely interesting rhythm, nor does it sound heavy at all, and they do it TWICE.

It's nothing more than playing one note over and over.

I really don't like that staccato intro, either. Those kinds of riffs may as well be anything. It's pretty much as musically pointless as a ton of open palm mutes.

Archived