Got my avenger!!! Need some opinions.

onehourburn

• Members

Just got it and plugged it in... I dont have a opinion on the tone yet...

First off the amp does not have much gain at all... Could there be a bad tube??? I got to turn the gain all the way up just to get a slight satruration... Then its kinda indifined... Even with my ts-9 boost it is bearly a rock tone.

• Members
Originally posted by onehourburn

What kind of music you play with the gain at 10 o'clock???

Can get a good 80's hard rock sound. I slap it with a Tubescreamer type pedal if I need more. With no OD, I still cant see pushing it beyond 1 o clock as it really starts to compress after that.

• Members

Originally posted by danhops

Can get a good 80's hard rock sound. I slap it with a Tubescreamer type pedal if I need more. With no OD, I still cant see pushing it beyond 1 o clock as it really starts to compress after that.

HMMM.

I put new pre amp tube in her... high gain tung sols in v1 v2 and a high gain JJ in V3 then a balanced JJ in v4

I got the gain at 7 with no boost and its like acdc type of gain.

Got to be the power amp tubes???

Hank

• Members

If your geting the volume, I would rule out the power tubes.

HMMM.

I put new pre amp tube in her... high gain tung sols in v1 v2 and a high gain JJ in V3 then a balanced JJ in v4

I got the gain at 7 with no boost and its like acdc type of gain.

Got to be the power amp tubes???

Hank

• Members

All the pre amp tubes I just put in I know are good...

I am not saying th power tubes are bad just old as hell.

No matter the master volume if I turn the gain all the way down I get no sound at all... At 10 oclock its a slightly overdive very light blues gain.

Hank

• Members

I will say that I dont find the gain on this amp to be saturated like a Boogie or a 5150. Its more clear IMHO. You need a pedal for that, again IMHO. Thats been my experience with all the Soldano stuff I've tried.

• Members

All the reading I have seen say its saturated...

this thing has no where near the gain like people have been talking...

I could not even get close to 80s tones at 10 oclock... more like 2 or 3 oclock

Could you try this on you avenger... Turn the gain all the way down and see if you get a signal... When I turn the gain all the way down i get no sounds at all even if the volum is full up.

• Members

All the reading I have seen say its saturated...

this thing has no where near the gain like people have been talking...

I could not even get close to 80s tones at 10 oclock... more like 2 or 3 oclock

Could you try this on you avenger... Turn the gain all the way down and see if you get a signal... When I turn the gain all the way down i get no sounds at all even if the volum is full up.

I owned one for about 6 months , and the only way the amp really comes alive is at ear bleed levels ... then it really screams , but I found that I prefered my VHT Ultra lead to it , so I sold it.

• Members

Originally posted by DiezelDude

Modern metal guys might think it has no gain. But there should be enough gain for everyone else .....

How much gain exactly do you think of when you say "modern metal"?

I'm curious, because I like a lot of gain but I don't play metal, so I'm wondering if I'm anywhere near what you're talking about.

• Members

Let me know what you take is when you get to play on her...

I got it around 2 or 3 oclock with a boost to get where I want... I think the power tubes are old as dirt and just lost all there life.

Ifg I get a chance, I'll play a few chords with how I have it set to give you an idea.

Archived