Digital grand piano for church?

flatpickle

• Members

Hi, all,

The acoustic piano at church is invariably out of tune. Not tuned to A440 and not in tune with itself. The church has it tuned 3 or 4 times a year, but it goes out of tune quickly because the sanctuary is pretty much un-air-conditioned during the week, and the pianists don't keep water in the humidifier (or people unplug the humidifier to plug in Christmas lights or stupid things like that).

It has been mentioned that it might be worth selling the acoustic piano and buying a digital grand piano. The acoustic piano is a Yamaha grand (G1, I think). What is a good sounding and natural-feeling digital grand piano that looks like a grand piano? Hopefully under $10K...

On a related note--most piano dealers have terrible websites. ?

• Members

Hi, all,

The acoustic piano at church is invariably out of tune. Not tuned to A440 and not in tune with itself. The church has it tuned 3 or 4 times a year, but it goes out of tune quickly because the sanctuary is pretty much un-air-conditioned during the week, and the pianists don't keep water in the humidifier (or people unplug the humidifier to plug in Christmas lights or stupid things like that).

It has been mentioned that it might be worth selling the acoustic piano and buying a digital grand piano. The acoustic piano is a Yamaha grand (G1, I think). What is a good sounding and natural-feeling digital grand piano that looks like a grand piano? Hopefully under $10K...

On a related note--most piano dealers have terrible websites. ?

hey, u took my av, LOL

sounds like you are looking for clavinova type.

Both Yamaha and Roland have grand look alike digital pianos

You should explore their web sites for that particular look,

• Members

If you really need a grand-piano shaped digital, then you're going to pay a lot more just for that look, with no extra quality in it. Yamaha Clavinovas CLP265 and CLP330 pretty much the same unit, but 265 is grand and retails for around $5500, 330 is console and retails around $3000.

I would look seriously at a Yamaha CLP340 if grand-look wasn't everything - 340 has some awesome samples, and nice action too.

• Members

I dunno. I played a Kawai digital grand once and was very impressed with its sound. It was nothing like anything a stereo pair of speakers could produce. It had speakers of various sizes pointing both up into the lid and down at the floor. I liked it a lot. Up to that point I thought that the whole idea of a digital grand was just stupid; now I'm not so sure.

• Members

Seems like I'm seeing digital grand pianos for sale on Craigslist a lot. But another thought is to remove the keyboard and workings of your current piano and use it as a "shell" for a portable digital piano. You could even add speakers and an amplification system that mount inside the piano.

• Members

...remove the keyboard and workings of your current piano and use it as a "shell" for a portable digital piano...

Really? A Yamaha G1 Grand? I'd think long before I did that.

Unless it's one of those black market imports that has the humidity issues. Maybe that's why it won't stand in tune...

• Members

Really? A Yamaha G1 Grand? I'd think long before I did that.

Unless it's one of those black market imports that has the humidity issues. Maybe that's why it won't stand in tune...

It's not my first choice but considering that there's some real issues with it...

• Members

That's a real compromise for such a serious application. I think the G series Yammys are entry level instruments. The C series is the proline and are far superior to just about everything out there. Maybe sell the G and move up to a professional instrument.

• Members

Firstly, I see nothing to be gained by "gutting" a perfectly good (in a controlled environment) piano - that's just vandalism and the church would lose a lot of potential income from its sale.

Secondly, the G series may be cheaper, but it should be perfectly capable of staying in tune under normal conditions. If it's suffering in the conditions you describe, there's no guarantee the C series would fare any better.

The solution largely depends on what the instrument's used for, and cost. If it's used for classical concerts (as many are in large churches), then no digital piano is going to be good enough.

If not, then I'd probably sell the acoustic and go for a Clavinova but not pay extra for the look.

If the aesthetic is that important to your church, a possibly easier and even possibly cheaper alternative is to get damn serious about the conditions it sits in. Get someone to hardwire in the humidifier so it can't be unplugged, spend some money on having the aircon in there when the church isn't in use.

Sure, that'll cost money, but it may yet be less than the hit of buying a Clavinova and losing money on the resale of the grand.

Also might be worth getting in the best piano tech you can find in your area to discuss the problems. He may be able to offer advice which will considerably help.

But please, do anything except rip the guts out of a perfectly decent grand piano to stick an also-ran DP in!

• Members

Seems like I'm seeing digital grand pianos for sale on Craigslist a lot. But another thought is to remove the keyboard and workings of your current piano and use it as a "shell" for a portable digital piano. You could even add speakers and an amplification system that mount inside the piano.

Its a thought but I would leave it at that

• Members

Thanks for the input, all. I certainly agree with those who suggested that the best solution would be to take care of the piano properly. That would be my first choice, too. It's a nice piano, and should be cared for properly.

However, this is not the first time the issue has come up. There have been multiple rounds of emphasizing the need to humidify the piano and control the climate in the sanctuary, and things haven't improved. I think there is an attitude among those who make financial decisions in the church that having a tuned piano is great and all, but climate control costs money, you know?

If that attitude persists, I think it would be good to sell the acoustic to someone who'll take care of it and appreciate it. A digital grand will work fine for the needs of the church (worship services and occasional weddings). I'll check out the options you guys mentioned, and pass them on. I do believe that the appearance of the piano is important to the pastor and elders in the church, but maybe they'd change their mind if they saw the price tags. I'll mention the non-grand-piano options, too.

Thanks again for your help.

Archived