Mark IV and a Stilleto

TOStudent

• Members

I've owned both and used them in the same band.

The voicing is completely different. The Mark IV has a very saturated sound, with more of Mesa's typical low-mid emphasis. Not as much as a Recto, but it still focuses on the lower mids. It's a very dark amp, as well. The settings a lot of people have on their Mark IVs here- treble at 8-10, with 2.2 and 6.6 khz boosted on the graphic EQ aren't really that bright. The guitarist in my band at the time I was using the Mark IV had a Triple Recto, which was much brighter. The Marks also have a very tight bass response if dialed in properly. The Mark IV has ludicrous amounts of gain on tap, more than you'll ever need.

The Stiletto is an upper mid heavy sound that makes me think of what would happen if you slapped a JCM 800s tone controls on a Bogner Shiva. In Bold mode, it gets the Recto's sharp attack. It's looser in the bass than the Mark IV, and can get very sludgy in Fluid mode on the red channel. They are much brighter than the Mark series; there's a lot of treble here, comparable to a JMP/JCM 800 Marshall. I've gigged with a JMP's treble on 0. I would never do that with a Mesa Mark. There's not a ton of gain available here, though the red channel can get heavy enough for modern metal from 3:00 on. I find the Stiletto's voicing to be much more agressive than the Mark IV, which is dark and smooth.

Hope this helps.

Archived