Low End Samplers/Drum Machines

nonis

• Members

Hey guys. I just bought an ION iDM02 from a guy for 20 bucks (supposedly it's a repackaged SR-16?) cause I wanted to try to create some drum beats. I've never really owned a sampler or a drum machine and didn't know what to expect, but you gotta start somewhere, right?

Anyway, I think it's a little more limited than I want. It can make some cool sounds, but it's stuck trying to sound like real drums I think. There's like 2 samples of electronic sounding drums on it. Also it's limited to drum sounds. And the pads on this thing suck... the pressure sensitivity is very hard to be consistent with.

So, I guess what I want is a sampler. I can create all my samples on a computer or something. I would use software for everything but I'd like to be able to take it with me and have it be portable. Plus, analog pads are more fun than keyboard/midi stuff, I think. Especially if they light up!

Are there any low end samplers that are decent? I don't really want to spend a ton of money until I know what I'm doing. And I just want to do simple stuff. Here's a pretty good example of what I'm talking about:

Ignore the video, but the simple, cheesy electronic drum beat and the samples in the background are the kind of thing I want to be able to do. [=

• Members

A Yamaha RM1X can be had for cheap on ebay. For a bit more money check out the RS7000 which comes with a built in sampler. Or if you're interested in better a sounding ROMpler for electronic, look for an E-mu PX7 or XL7.

• Members

hmm... The sp404 seems pretty cool actually. But damn, these things are expensive for what they do. It seems to me like with recent technology advances these things should be far cheaper, especially used. I mean, even the low end ones approach the price of a small laptop...

• Members

the difference is with the manufacturing process.

i'm sure you've seen the Dell laptop commercial where all the fanciful machines are producing computers in various fun colors while the workers dance and sing 'LOLLIPOP, LOLLIPOP, OH LOLLY LOLLIPOP'.

what you don't know is that's actually how cheap laptops are made. manufacturing has become very fun for the workers, and costs are down all across the board.

low end samplers, on the other hand, are built by gold plated chinese orphans in singapore. oftentimes these sampler factories are located in active coal mines, in order to make the orphans more miserable. production is stopped every 15 minutes so that the orphans can be sprayed with human waste, this drives up production costs as well. sharply juxtaposed to the Dell factory, all these orphans will ever hear are the sounds of their master's whips, poop spraying out of hoses, and Jordan Rudess roland demos.

but srsly, yes they are expensive. buy used!

• Members

I got a mpc 500 for $280... Is this good? =P

I saw some videos of people making stuff with it on youtube and it seems pretty easy to use and do the kind of things I want. I read some stuff about it being a little less intuitive because of no screen but it seems easy enough...

Archived