tech question about an aiken dummy load

AnomalyXT

• Members

ok, I know a bit about the ideas behind dummy loads and such, but I want to make sure I wouldn't be killing my ampeg to do what I'd like. I'm looking at getting a red box, for DI live and for recording and, ideally, for silent practice if I stick a dummy load in the speaker thru jack on the box. I've looked around a bit and aiken amps has some schematics that seem to do exactly what I'm looking for. from this page I'm looking at building the 4/8/16 v1 box. if anyone knows any reason that it could mean the death of my amp to hook stuff up this way, let me know before I do it! thanks for your help!

• Members

If you want a dummy load for recording and DI, you'd be better off building a reactive load, such as the one here:

http://www.aikenamps.com/spkrload.html

It will sound more natural. A resistive load is best used for testing amps.

The difficult part is finding high-power inductors. Be sure to use a bipolar electrolytic or film cap capable of handling the current the amp puts out.

Regardless of which one you build, be sure to properly heat sink the resistors so they can dissipate their rated power (or use the very large enamel wirewound types that don't need heatsinking).

Good luck!

Randall Aiken

• Members

thanks for the reply! guess I couldn't ask for better advice than advice from the designer. I'm guessing that mouser would be able to help me pick out parts based on the values I need (I scaled the component values for an 8 ohm load). Thanks for your help!

Archived